Nested comments on front page list view

Viewing 1 reply thread

norm
      Ute Fan
      @norm

Sorry if this has been covered but I’ve noticed that it can get confusing on the front page when you see a reply to a specific post earlier in the thread as it shows up at the bottom of the list instead of after the post it is responding to. Makes for a confusing thread at times when you don’t know who they were responding to.

I know it works when you open up the post but it would be nice if it showed them nested in the list view on the main page.

Along the same lines, on mobile it doesn’t indent replies to comments when you open a thread. I have to switch my browser to desktop version to see it that way. I think it would be easier to follow the discussions if it did it on mobile too.

Just a couple thoughts I’ve had the last couple days.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Nested comments on the home page is something I’ve wanted to do for a long time.  The thing is, it’s reallllly complicated to do that. So since the threaded view is basically shown newest to oldest topics, so are the comments.  To tell you the truth, the way the comments are done on cougarboard is a nice format.  If I could figure that out I might do something similar.  

We ran into problems with indentations, especially on mobile.  You see, if you get a reply to a reply to a reply to a reply and so on, and it indents every time, pretty soon the content is smashed into an unreadable tiny column which looks horrid on mobile.

Anonymous
        Inactive

The new text box cuts off after two lines on mobile now. Also you have to scroll to the top when you hit reply. 

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

Yeah I see on my phone that when the keyboard is opened the new message box is covered up. I’m still not sold on this one anyway, so I’m working on some stuff.. Hope to have something in the next day or two.

noneyadb
        Ute Fan
        @noneyadb

@Tony –
        Have the persons name being replied to inserted at the top of message.

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

@Tony –
          Have the persons name being replied to inserted at the top of message.

Not a bad idea. I was working on a “reply with quote” thing a couple of weeks ago, but lost too many braincells on it.

Riot West
            Ute Fan
            @riotwest

What you did right there was perfect! The reply that shows the posters name and block quote would be awesome (and make the posts and replies a lot easier to follow)!

Tony (admin)
              Admin/Founder
              @admin

What I did there was copy the text from the post I was replying to and used the block quote button in the regular forum area (not the home page).

I’ve got some ideas up my sleeve.

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Ute Hub Site Comments and Suggestions Nested comments on front page list view