One of the major NFL/CFB outlets ranks Utahs D Line second in the nation

Viewing 3 reply threads

rbmw263
      Ute Fan
      @rbmw263

0.1 behind no. 1 Alabama. Pretty cool to get that kind of recognition. This is after we lost a DT to USC…

89ute
      Ute Fan
      @89ute

Looking at just DTs, behind Lotulelei and Mokofisi, we only have Tasini(Sr.) with any significant experience. Next is Alani Havili-Katoa(So.). I don’t know about you but that’s not a name I recall hearing last year even though he had some playing time. Next are all frosh. Granted, incredibly talented frosh but a concern none the less.
      Leki Fotu
      Mark Kruger
      Hauati Pututau
      Pita Tonga
      Vaha Vainuku

I hope we don’t wind up missing Stevie Tu’ikolovatu. I love the hype the line is getting but I think it’s a tad sketchy beyond the ones.

89ute
      Ute Fan
      @89ute

Looking at DEs, similar situation. Dimick, Fitts and Taumeopenu. Beyond that it’s all frosh.
      Bradlee Anae
      Chris Hart (might be dinged up, I think I saw a picture of him on twitter wearing a boot)
      Maxs Tupai
      These three are incredibly talented but can they step in with no drop off compared to the ones?

There are a few upper classmen, Kendall Huey(Jr.) who has yet to play a snap and Hayden Clegg(Sr.) who is pretty much a special teamer.

Two more guys on the roster I’ve never heard of. Both frosh Nick Heninger and Trevor Horlacher.

jamarcus24
      Ute Fan
      @jamarcus24

The lack of experience in our depth is a little concerning but I think the young guys cracking the two deep says more about their talent level and their readiness to play than it does desperation to fill spots on the depth chart. I’m not super concerned because d-line is just one of those things Utah does very well. When Whittingham talks about building quality depth this is how you do it. I’m sure that by this time next year we’ll all be very happy those young guys have a lot of experience because we’re probably only bringing back maybe 4 starters on our D next season.

It’s a good strategy too. Assuming we lose Lowell after this season the only starting d-lineman we’d probably be bringing back is Mokifisi and it’d be great to have a group of underclassmen who already have some significant experience be able to step in to fill the void.

One more thing: you also need to keep in mind that just two seasons ago we were starting two freshmen and a sophomore on a d-line that led the nation in sacks and now two seasons later they’re part of arguably the best d-line in the country. If Coach Whit thinks those kids are ready then they’re ready.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football One of the major NFL/CFB outlets ranks Utahs D Line second in the nation