Opinion about a few hyped Ute defenders

Viewing 1 reply thread
      9 1

Warren Smith
      Ute Fan
      @unhealthyutefan

The Utes defensive issues are so interesting this year. Clearly, a few guys have all-conference talent: CP, Diabate, Bishop, & Hubert. Yet two of the guys on that list seem like tweeners (Bishop and Diabate). 

Bishop plays like a safety that was made for old-school football. The dude is incredible in the box. But he’s struggled to tackle in space and in coverage against Ohio St, Florida, and UCLA . Reminds me a lot of Chase Hansen when he played Safety for a year: makes some highlight hits, but lacks the bend and agility to be elite in the open field. Hansen was amazing after the move to LB. Unlike Hansen, I’m not sure Bishop has the frame to add 25 pounds to play LB. 

Diabete looks like our most explosive front-seven player. But he has a slight build for a backer and has struggled to get off blocks and hold his gap. He looks at his best when he’s rushing the passer, I can see why Florida experimented with him at rush end. The other LB spot has been a major weakness this year. 

Most concerning to me is our D-tackles and ends need significantly more time to develop or have unfixable issues. Jonah Ellis plays with a great motor but lacks size and length, Otoole still looks like a TE, and Van just isn’t progressing. 

The Dtackles either lack size and/or explosiveness. I don’t see a body type with the athleticism of a Leki, Penisini, L Lotulelei, or even a Stevie T. Vimahi or Pepe are the closest to that.

Interesting recruiting strategy by the Utes with Tafuna, Tenn Pututau and Fua Pututau. All three of those guys were HS LBs. The Utes have added a ton of weight to them. But they still look undersized and uncomfortable with the added weight on their frames. 

Ute Dub
      Ute Fan
      @chestercopperpot

I agree and am hopeful that bright young talents such as Lander Barton will pull out a dictionary and look up the definition of contain. 

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Opinion about a few hyped Ute defenders