re: The Polls – why do we care?

Viewing 3 reply threads

GadValleyUte
      Ute Fan
      @maximumkungfu

I see and hear and have personally bitched about how crazy the polls are, how biased they are etc. I’ve started to wonder
      1) Do they serve a purpose I today’s setup?
      2) Is there a guiding purpose or philosophy to them?
      3) Should we care about them at all?

Here are some thoughts I had about those questions. I’m interested to know what others think.

1) they don’t or shouldn’t mean a damn thing in today’s setup. The final outcome is not some conglomeration of polls so they mean nothing. They certainly frame the conversation in these weeks before the actual CFP comes out, but ultimately that doesn’t matter. They may even bias where the CFP starts but by the end of October the thinking will have shifted a lot based on actual on field play. So ultimately they don’t matter.

2) I hear a lot of argument about who should be where based on resume up until now. Are they supposed to reflect a “based on what has happened until now” thinking? If so I think we have a pretty strong case for being number 1. If they are a reflection of where you think a team will end up after it’s said and done then I don’t think I am convinced we’ll end up in a NY6 bowl yet so we probably belong in the teens based on that. It seems clear the CFP is solely an “up until now” not looking forward based on presumed W/L type of poll. I say this based on an interview with last years committee chair I heard after the final poll last year and the week to week reversals last year via a bus Baylor and TCU. Does any poll besides the CFP have a stated goal or purpose that guides voting?
      3) should we care? Nope. Our team’s destiny is as much I. It’s control as is imaginable. if we take care of business we will be where we are supposed to be we will either clearly be a top 4 or we won’t. I find it hard to believe we should care about MSU because they will face UM next week and will eventually face OSU. If they win those games convincingly nobody will really doubt their spot. If they loose they’ll go away.

Just some thoughts.

SkinyUte
      Ute Fan
      @skinyute

Right or wrong, the polls help to shape the public’s thinking about which teams are better than others. While it doesn’t matter now, it could certainly start to matter come the end of the season if there are 2-3 teams in that 4-6 range. See Baylor & TCU last year.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

The polls also provide exactly the basis for this discussion around the water cooler. Whis is X team ranked #9?!?!?! Team Y should be!

I think that right now the exposure we are getting and the poll rankings help us gain respect and possibly win over recruits who we otherwise might not be able to win over. I also think it helps advertising revenue, ticket sales, and so on.

Ultimately the final polls should be the used to help determine who gets in the playoffs, of course.

Mule
      Ute Fan
      @mule

I think when all is said and done, 2 or 3 of the 4 teams in the playoff will be a one loss team (or even a 2 loss?) which unfortunately means it’s a beauty contest to get in. I think that being as high as possible in the polls when the playoff polls come out will help.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football re: The Polls – why do we care?