Recruiting Who should leave and who should come back

Viewing 5 reply threads

Coreyc04
      Ute Fan
      @greenstormute

Leave if he wants to:

Kyle Kuzma- should go to the NBA if he can get drafted in the first round. If he slips to the second round he should stay.

My guess is he will stay. This draft is stacked. If he goes next year he will be a top 20 draft pick. He will secure a larger guaranteed contract by going.

Larry needs to keep these players:

Devon Daniels- Was by far the best freshman other than Jakob that Larry has recruited.

I think he will stay. Larry still played him down the stretch of this season. Needs to work his way into a lock down defender.  I think he could do it.

Sedrick Barefield- Improved a lot during the season. Also needs to improve his defense(a shocking trend about almost all his young players). Has a lot of talent just needs to be coached to work in this game.

He also should stay. He should start next year.

Jayce Johnson- One of the best coaching jobs of Larry this year. He improved from agame one to now immensely. His defense is better than Collettes and could start over Collette if he improves

I see him returning barring some crazy revelation.

Gabe Bealer- Another player who finally showed his potential two years after Larry recruited him. He is the poster boy for someone who could have transferred last year but stayed and worked through his faults and turned into one of our better defenders. 

If the NCAA grants the extra year of eligibility he will be back.

David Collette- I have issues with Dave Collette. His defense is terrible. He can’t block a shot to save his life and doesn’t have a lot of grit. I also thought he was the worst officiated player I’ve ever seen in a Ute uniform. He’s gotten hit more times than any Ute player and consistently doesn’t get foul calls. He also is one of the best back to the basket players I’ve ever seen at the college level. He has all the moves there to be successful. Honestly I want to see him take Jayce under his wing and show him all those moves.

He is as close to a sure thing to return next season.

We would be fine if they transfer:

Jo Jo Zamora- The reason he leaves is because him and Barefield play the same position and have similar skillsets and Barefield as a sophomore is more polished than he was. 

I think he stays and is a 6th man his senior season but he could leave.

Parker Van Dyke- His athleticism is not at a Pac 12 level. He can shoot with the best of them though. If Larry could land another top JC recruit I wouldn’t be surprised to see Parker transfer out.

Should Transfer

Jakub Jokl- He has potential to be a good player but needs to transfer to a JC for a year before he can be good. He needs playing time and someone at that level would be able to get him that but he isn’t going to get it at Utah unless he changes his game drastically. 

Tyler Rawson-He is an MWC level player at best. He is not a Pac 12 player at all. He should get buried in the lineup next year with the incoming freshmen. I just don’t see him working out at this level. Larry shouldn’t have played him as much as he did this season.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

I’m not so sure PVD is such a good shooter. I swear I can’t remember seeing him shoot a decent percentage in any particular game.

Puget Ute
        Ute Fan
        @pugetute

I only remember him being unacceptably bad at shooting FTs (46% on the year).

1 1

Anonymous
      Inactive

The problem with Daniels and Barefield, the best part of their game was slashing to the rim, but that disappears at the end of games and neither has an outside shot.

Collette is a foul machine and does not protect the rim. His hands are suspect as he repeatedly got stripped.

Kuzma is ranked like 72nd for the draft. If he did get drafted, that’s D league material. He’ll be back.

Rawson was a joke. Johnson will never amount to much.

There’s not much to build with this roster. Flush the turds and reload. Buy some one and dones. We need to fill the Hunty again.

PorterRockwell
        Ute Fan
        @porterrockwell

Isn’t Bealer a junior? I don’t recall him being honored on senior day this year

Utahute72
      Ute Fan
      @utahute72

Bealer came with two years to play two years ago. He was injured the first year (and at JC if I remember right) so he appealed and was apparently granted an extra year. They changed his status from a senior to a junior mid year.

HoosierinUt
        Ute Fan
        @hoosierinut

He has not received his extra year from the NCAA. He is technically a senior with no eligibility unless he is granted his waiver.

Larry said last night that they are hopeful, but it’s the NCAA so nothing is guaranteed.

Bealer chose not to participate in senior night because he believes he will get his waiver.

AZUTE
      Ute Fan
      @azute

Sorry but Kuz is 100% gone and I’d put Daniels transferring about 90%

Kuz has graduated he has nothing to sty for plus I’ve heard his family could really use his financial support. Even if he doesn’t get drafted he could make 6 figures over in Europe.

Daniels is a head case and will divide the locker room. It will take a major attitude adjustment by him but I think Larry may have already made up his mind in this one.

BJA 13
      Ute Fan
      @bja13

Jo Jo > Barefield.   

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) Recruiting Who should leave and who should come back