Report: Utah football coach Kyle Whittingham's latest contract includes hefty bu

Viewing 2 reply threads

Wilson’s Mustache
      Ute Fan
      @sigmaute

In addition to a hefty raise, Utah football coach Kyle Whittingham got some extra security when he signed his latest contract.

According to a report by KSL.com, the adjustments to Whittingham’s extension announced last month just prior to Utah football’s Signing Day includes a buyout of $3 million per year left on the contract. That amount is a sharp rise from the previous extension, in which the school would owe Whittingham $750,000 per year for the remainder of the contract.

The buyout would drop to $2 million per year if Whittingham failed to win five or more games in consecutive seasons. If Whittingham chose to leave the University of Utah, he would owe a deescalating buyout over time: $2.5 million in 2016 or 2017; $1.75 million in 2018 or 2019, and $1 million before 2020, according to the report.

Read more at Salt Lake Tribune – Kyle Goon

Anonymous
      Inactive

Now that is job security. With the defenses he has built I really don’t see him losing less than five games either.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Whitt has said he doesn’t want to work much past 60. He’s currently 55. Based on that buyout, he’s staying at Utah.

Anonymous
        Inactive

So getting way ahead of ourselves who do you want to replace him?  I kind of want Scalley but feel he is too young to take over the program and his coaching connections so small.  But I feel like he is the next Whitt he can evaluate talent and he seems to scheme well.

Anonymous
          Inactive

They gotta be grooming someone. Like him or not, Scalley seems to have the energy on the recruiting trail. Harden seems to have a presence also. The next man up is somewhere on the staff and they’re grooming him. I’m smiling thinking about the ride.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Report: Utah football coach Kyle Whittingham's latest contract includes hefty bu