Roku stick vs Roku 3

Viewing 3 reply threads

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

We are moving soon, just down the road to a new house. I plan on getting a new smart TV as my main TV so won’t need the Roku3 for that.  I’ll have a 2nd TV upstairs which isn’t smart and I have the old Roku3 and a Roku stick which I’ve never even taken out of the box. I’m thinking just for convenience I should just do the stick since it is powered by the TV and I don’t have a wall plug, and HDMI running to the TV.  Much cleaner.

So the question is, is there a reason to use a Roku3 vs the Streaming stick if all this will be used for is watching stuff on amazon, hulu, and netflix?  I’m talking Thomas the train and that kind of stuff (not for me I swear).

Larry B
      Ute Fan
      @larryb

I never actually understood the difference between the Roku and Roku Stick. I bought a Roku for upstairs and then later was going to buy one for downstairs. The salesman told me to buy the stick, which is cheaper and easy to hide while doing everything a Roku can do. Basically what I’m saying is, buy the stick.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

Thanks. I already have the stick. It’s been sitting on my desk since last year. Never even opened the box.

Larry B
          Ute Fan
          @larryb

Oh ok. I would have just bought the stick for both Tv’s if I knew. We’ve been really happy with the stick. The Roku is good too but it’s not easy to hide and more money.

Milton Vanderslice
      Ute Fan
      @miltonvanderslice

The Roku Stick can’t do 60fps which is what you want optimally for sports and high movement video.  It may work fine enough for you not to notice, but once you can spot the difference, you’ll never stick again.  (same with fire stick)

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

Meanwhile Crapcast is throttling me and I’m getting 1 frame every 47 seconds….

Warrior Ute
      Ute Fan
      @warriorute

I have the Roku Sick.  If you are using it for movies, Netflix and the like it is great.  Easy interface for quality and everything you need.  I agree with Milton Vanderslice, the only downside is sports.  I have NFL game pass to watch the Seahawks when they aren’t in local TV.   The difference there is noticable.  In my opinion if you won’t be watching sports, use the stick, if you are use the Roku 3.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

Yeah the stick will end up being mostly for the 4-year-old.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Misc Roku stick vs Roku 3