Scalley's Defensive Identity

Viewing 5 reply threads

RedLine
      Ute Fan
      @redline

Curious to see if Scalley continues his aggressive calls for pressure to the QB going into PAC play. Sitake had a similar philosophy but this led to many big play losses. Pease was very different in philosophy by focusing on solid coverage and defensive balance. Pease’s style was the approach used in our best result in the PAC12. Blitzing works well when the secondary is solid. LB are new but have done well and the secondary has looked good. What do you think we’ll see going into PAC play? Can this team hold up on blitz heavy defensive calls in the weekly grind of the PAC12?

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Arguably the blitzing nearly cost us the game against byu. They carved us up in that last drive. It has been very aggressive. Not sure that will be too much gambling when we get up against better defenses and better athletes. Tomorrow will be interesting.

noneyadb
        Ute Fan
        @noneyadb

Was it because of blitzing, or loosing Kylie Fitts?

Anonymous
      Inactive

It will depend on who we face. SC has a terrible OL. Their run game sucks, they do have some talented receivers, but the QBs have not been very effective getting them the ball.

No question in this game that Scalley will have them going after the QB.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I think the aggressive play calling lead to the win as well so meh Utah won. Hill broke containment twice and scored good for him. For the most part he was bottled up.

Utah will run a four man blitz but you might see a Marcus Williams sack.

UteStuckInSeattle
        Ute Fan
        @utestuckinseattle

I don’t see them sending Marcus on a blitz, as he’s too valuable roaming in the secondary, but I think you’ll see Chase in the USC backfield quite a bit tomorrow night.

Puget Ute
      Ute Fan
      @pugetute

With Kylie Fitts in the game I do not believe Taysom would have been able to break free

ironman1315
        Ute Fan
        @ironman1315

Indeed, one defender left his feet. And Puta was head hunting more than keeping contain. I think that can be fixed though.

UteStuckInSeattle
      Ute Fan
      @utestuckinseattle

The aggressive defensive schemes have worked quite well, except a major issue was exposed at key times by Taysom Hill and a few times by SJSU, and that is the our linebackers are being a bit too aggressive in their blitzing to the point where they are overpursuing and leaving their feet.

Tauteoli is a rocket coming into the backfield but he tends to leave his feet and whiff on tackles because of it. Barton does pretty well to stay assignment sound but he needs to wrap up better, case in point he had Taysom dead to rights 3 yards in the backfield on the 2-point conversion and he Taysom squirmed out of a weak tackle. Luckily the D-Line was there ready to wrap up Hill.

If the D-Line maintains good containment and our LBs play assignment-sound football I think we’ll be celebrating a win tomorrow night.

GO UTES!

Anonymous
        Inactive

Barton nearly had the strip on that play as well. Hill had to collect himself and the Football. It was a great play by Barton that lead to the eventual tackle.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Pac-12 Scalley's Defensive Identity