SEC making a league, not a super conference.

Viewing 3 reply threads

Duhwayne
      Ute Fan
      @duhwayne

Duhwayne
      Ute Fan
      @duhwayne

SEC

Duhwayne
      Ute Fan
      @duhwayne

I think B1G and PAC should merge immediately before their money teams are picked off. If they don’t neither has enough leverage.

AlohaUte
      Ute Fan
      @alohaute

College FB is the only sport trying to actively decrease it’s fanbase.  Every other league on earth wants to expand viewers and fans, CFB seeks to abandon millions of fans. If this happens or if OU and Texas join the SEC, I won’t watch a single CFB game this season or any future season that doesn’t involve the Pac-12, MWC, or BYU. That includes the playoff.

Gugstanley
        Ute Fan
        @gugstanley

I hope Utah contacted the SEC

Duhwayne
        Ute Fan
        @duhwayne

European Superleague was this kind of effort. The fans were the ones who stopped it. Americans are probsbly too obedient for that even though we’re talking about ceding TV revenue to a subgroup of mostly taxpayer funded state universities, almost all of whom take some amount of federal money. I don’t see anything other than an act of Congress to stop it. The Supreme Court may not agree either. So again it will come back to fans. Total pie will shrink over time but they will have bigger slices, which was the BCS and bowl system all along. Fans of those schools don’t really care if you watch, just make sure you send them your team’s money. If you want to save college football as a national sport rather than a primarily southern pastime, B1G and PAC need to make a counterweight. If you watch games in that league you rewarded it. I don’t watch NFL either.

Also fwiw, this may be the best thing that ever happens to rugby.

“Basically we’re all struggling to find a capitalism 4.0, and we’re all fed up with capitalism 3.0, and this is a huge example of the limits of capitalism 3.0. This “I own it. It’s my right. I’ll do what I want with it”. Except, no you won’t because there’s such a thing as a public conception of ownership of these assets, even if you formally own them. There are limits to how far you can push this market logic on the social institutions without provoking a reaction. Karl Polanyi, the Hungarian sociologist and historian from the 1940s, wrote that the big f**k-ups of the 19th century and 20th century were attempts to shove markets down people’s throats to the point where they revolted.”

https://nograssintheclouds.substack.com/p/how-the-spectacular-comical-failure

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football SEC making a league, not a super conference.