Some "quality of life" ideas

Viewing 12 reply threads

Born-A-Ute-PDX
      Ute Fan
      @stingeymail

I definitely agree with #2! That would be ideal.

I will also throw out one additional question/suggestion for those of us who occasionally lurk from work… Is there a way to see the forum without the graphic of the stadium/fans in the left and right margins? It looks good, but would be cool to make it a bit more discrete when needed.

So far, great site!

UteSteve
      Ute Fan
      @utesteve

Love the new site! I think it would be nice on the home page to contain a plethora of information about the upcoming game front and center (opponent, time, channel, etc). Also, maybe a Twitter/Instagram feed of all official Utah Athletics accounts for quick hitting updates.

joefan
      Ute Fan
      @joefan

Another suggestion I have is to put an option in email settings to notify me of follow up-replies via emails instead of having to check it each time you post a reply on a thread.

joefan
      Ute Fan
      @joefan

One more suggestion: providing a way for the “notify me of follow-up replies via email” to be auto checked in settings so I don’t have to click it every time I post.

Thanks.

joefan
      Ute Fan
      @joefan

One more suggestion. Setting for auto-checking the “Notify me of follow-up replies via email” box so I don’t have to do it every time.

Thanks.

Hockeybeard
      Ute Fan
      @hockeybeard

Hey Mr. Tony(admin) – props on the site. Huge improvement over the other non-subscription boards I have frequented. I’m excited for the many possibilities this can make for the online Ute community.

I just have a couple suggestions I’d like to put out there I haven’t seen mentioned yet – mostly common ones I like to have for forum navigation:

1) A button on the bottom that either takes you to the top of the page or allows you to navigate back out to the sub-forum or to the next thread.

2) Perhaps bolding new posts in a thread, or fading out old posts that have been ‘read’ so that you can quickly find the new discussions if you’ve missed a hot topic for a few hours or so (I know there is the new activity, but that just takes you to the newest post). With the indented replies (which I love) it can sometimes be hard to follow conversations if you don’t scroll through the entire thread again.

3) The “like” or “upvote” button – I know some are scared this will lead to a mob mentality, or a swarming/circle jerk for unpopular opinions, but I think if you leave it as a “like” or “report” feature, versus a true “upvote/downvote” then you end up getting a better response and have that positive feedback people are looking for.

4) keep kickin’ ass on this site.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Thanks for the comments. After one day I think it is amazing so far and it will get better over time. Thanks for the suggestions. I think a “like” button is good, and positive.

I have yet to address the look and feel of the forum it is totally an out of the box setup right now. It will certainly improve.

Hockeybeard
        Ute Fan
        @hockeybeard

Hockeybeard
        Ute Fan
        @hockeybeard

Look at you so quick with the “Like” button! Wish I could hit it multiple times!

execUTEioner
      Ute Fan
      @executeioner

It looks like the forum user names aren’t unique. Moose will have a field day with this.

AZswayze
        Ute Fan
        @AZswayze

Is there a way to limit it to one user per IP to try to cut down on users having multiple accounts. I know some will use proxies and whatever, but at least it would be somewhat of a deterrent. I hate having to try to figure out who I’m dealing with constantly. The whole multiple account thing is just weird to me.

Hockeybeard
          Ute Fan
          @hockeybeard

@Hockeybeard @executeioner Man, you’re playing with my mind right now. I wasn’t sure how I was posting without posting…

• This reply was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by Hockeybeard.

execUTEioner
            Ute Fan
            @executeioner

@Hockeybeard Sorry to pick on you, just playing around. This could get generate confusion. Usernames or the display name, since it’s not actually displaying the username, should be unique and tied to an account, IMO.

AZswayze
              Ute Fan
              @AZswayze

My god am I confused right now.

Hockeybeard
                Ute Fan
                @hockeybeard

Should I switch my handle executioner? would that help?

execUTEioner
                Ute Fan
                @executeioner

Confused about what? @480ute

AZswayze
                  Ute Fan
                  @AZswayze

Dude, my head is about to explode.

AZswayze
                  Ute Fan
                  @AZswayze

Now, can you please change yours back before we get stuck this way.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Woa true security issue. And thanks for pointing out that we can hashtag users. That’s SO COOL! @hockeybeard

Hockeybeard
        Ute Fan
        @hockeybeard

@admin Just found it out – would be nice if there was an auto-fill feature for it, so you could just type the “@” and a couple letters and have a drop down to choose the user (incase you don’t remember precise spelling or something). Also, it tags the Username, not the display name – so some confusion potential there as well.

Crimson Clover
      Ute Fan
      @crimsonclover

I especially like #2, the ability to quickly find the new posts in a thread. Utezone takes you straight to the next unread post, which is great.

You should probably add a donate feature at some point. I’d love to donate towards your efforts, but I realize that’s not your focus.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

Yes the username versus display name is very confusing, even for me. I’d like to get rid of the displayname and just go username.

Hockeybeard
          Ute Fan
          @hockeybeard

Seems like that would work a lot better and be more intuitive for signups.

GadValleyUte
      Ute Fan
      @maximumkungfu

It would be nice if the top menu (Home/Forum/Members/Activity) was always visible instead of having to scroll back up to it to navigate from page to page. And if Recent Posts was its own button instead of in the drop down that would be nice.
      Thanks again for doing this. I’m sure you’re totally swamped, but so far I’m enjoying what you’ve got.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by GadValleyUte.

joefan
      Ute Fan
      @joefan

Right now, posts are getting cut off on the right side of the browser on my phone.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

Yes the vertical mobile view needs some work. What kind of phone is it?

GadValleyUte
        Ute Fan
        @maximumkungfu

This was happening on my iPhone 6 yesterday in both Safari and Chrome. It was kinds crummy. Landscape mode looked fine, but you couldn’t type anything so I had to constantly switch from landscape to portrait. Hopefully that will get fixed.

UteSteve
          Ute Fan
          @utesteve

Same here. Fixing this would be really helpful as I spend about 90% of my time browsing on my phone and I’m not a fan of landscape.

joefan
      Ute Fan
      @joefan

Also, another suggestion would be to be able to upload images to the site. Easier to upload a picture from the file on your computer than to upload to imgur and copy the link, especially on mobile. Thanks for your hard work on the site so far.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

That one would be nice and I will be considering that. However, that one could REALLY eat up server resources and space, adding to the infrastructure needs and hosting costs. We’ll see.

Hockeybeard
          Ute Fan
          @hockeybeard

Perhaps an integrated feature with an imgur upload? Have imgur host the images, but a direct functionality from this site to imgur – not familiar enough with PHP to know if that is possible or not, but I have seen it on other sites.

Viewing 12 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Ute Hub Site Comments and Suggestions Some "quality of life" ideas