thougths and prayers to the small business owners this will impact

Viewing 4 reply threads
      2 2

PorterRockwell
      Ute Fan
      @porterrockwell

in Salt Lake City.  Well done Available Jones.  Props to OR for not bluffing and following through.  Now if I’m Black Diamond and a few other companies I consider relocating my operation out of Utah to drive the point home.  I suspect that OR leaving will have other outdoor product companies think twice before relocating operations to Utah. 

http://www.sltrib.com/news/4952414-155/outdoor-retailer-convention-leaving-utahhttp://www.deseretnews.com/article/865673542/Gov-Herbert-may-back-down-from-call-to-rescind-Bears-Ears.html
      my favorite quote from the D News article:
      Senate President Wayne Niederhauser, R-Sandy, said if the Outdoor Retailer show decides to leave Utah, it won’t be part of future discussions about the state’s public lands and outdoor recreation.
      “Please stay at the table and work with us,” Niederhauser urged the retailers.

Senator Niedermeyer, they were never part of the conversation to begin with because they don’t see things the way the Utah legislature does.http://publiclands.utah.gov/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/EconomicImpactofOGIndustryALL.pdf

I’ve also included the most recent link I could find on how much the extractive industry contributes to the economy, it’s long 220 pages but this was the most recent info I could locate

ladyinred
      Ute Fan
      @ladyinred

I had to give a thumbs down as a dislike, not to you but to the subject.

When does the last OR show happen here? Isn’t it contracted through 2018?

PorterRockwell
        Ute Fan
        @porterrockwell

yes they are contracted through 2018, who’s to say they won’t bail and pay the buyout fee? Patagonia, Black Diamond (locally owned) have already said they won’t be there, now REI has joined and said they won’t be at the next one

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

I get the OR people being upset, but I don’t think they are considering the fact that the state is hurt pretty badly because of how the Feds act towards the states concerning public lands. Specifically, PILT. That s**t is underfunded to a criminal degree. Further, the lack of tax bases hurts public education. If Congress and the Pres. would actually pay what is due under PILT, and adjust for inflation, then the state would, most likely, shut up. Perhaps the retailers and the state should lobby Congress to actually pay what they promise.

PorterRockwell
        Ute Fan
        @porterrockwell

I will agree that PILT is underfunded. However people like Mike Noel and a few select others see ZERO value in outdoor recreation. Mike has said things to the effect that making beds and cleaning hotels rooms isn’t a job, that he wants his kids and grand kids to have their “traditional” way of life, etc.
        I included a link from the State of Utah about how much the extractive industry contributes. Some will argue it’s because they aren’t allowed to drill where they want. might be some truth to that. I was in the Uinta Basin a month ago and passed many idled pumps.
        The Problem with the extractive industries is it is very much a boom/bust industry. If energy prices are down those wells are idle. Then those drill workers either move to the next town leaving homes they bought foreclosed on or they go on welfare hoping that the boom returns. Go drive through Vernal and Roosevelt and look at their housing market.

The issue many have with Utah getting control of public land that belongs to ALL Americans is that we know from past experience that the legislature will sell it to the highest bidder.

Terrific recreation businesses could be built in Uinta County, San Juan and others but Utah leaders want what they want. Can’t see the forest for the trees

Utahute72
      Ute Fan
      @utahute72

The University of Utah study would disagree with your premise of building an outdoor industry. That study showed only areas around Zion and Bryce showed much economic benefit from designated areas. Additionally Ogden has been attempting to build an outdoor recreation industry with mixed results. Utah has the second most Federally controlled lands at 62% (Nevada has more). It seems the governor has been trying to look for better ways to manage the lands within the State, the OR only wants to follow the existing paradigm. I say don’t let the door hit you in the ass on your way out.

PorterRockwell
        Ute Fan
        @porterrockwell

nobody said it would be easy or that there would not be risks involved.    You’re comparing ogden to places like the Uinta Basin?  we know from experience that once the land is privatized it’s gone forever.  we know from experience that the extraction industries rarely clean up as they are obligated to do once their operations cease.

Puget Ute
          Ute Fan
          @pugetute

Yes, once lands are privatized then regular folks are at the mercy of the new owners if they want any access. Hunters, hikers, fishermen, bikers, climbers, etc, will all face restrictions. This is precisely what happened in Idaho as recently as last year.

Utebeam
            Ute Fan
            @utebeam

If you’re referring to the potlatch land in McCall you are mistaken. It was NEVER public land. Potlatch owned it(private entity) and sold it to another private entity. Potlatch was kind enough to allow the public to use their private property for recreation. The new owners don’t feel the same way. And based on the letigious society we are in I don’t blame them. 

Puget Ute
      Ute Fan
      @pugetute

Isn’t this a case of misplaced priorities? As I understand it the Outdoor Recreation industry is worth $12.3B/annually to the state, while extraction industries are closer to $3.5B.

PorterRockwell
        Ute Fan
        @porterrockwell

Don’t confuse with Herbert Noel etc with real facts. They prefer alternative facts 

96GradAlum
        @96gradalum

I suspect the extraction companies contribute more to their reelections than the OR do 🙁

Viewing 4 reply threads

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Politics thougths and prayers to the small business owners this will impact