UCLA Game Play Calling?

Viewing 4 reply threads

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Just got home from the game. I can barely type because my hands are still frozen. I’m not as disappointed as I am completely baffled by the play calling in this (UCLA) game. Williams was shredding UCLA, sometimes getting 8-9-10+ on first down. So we decide to do something else, which then does not work.

We get down to the 2 yard line by running it straight up their ass and then we decide to get all fancy and do s**t wide? Then we lose yards? WTF?

I’m especially puzzled by the (I think) 3rd down call with about 50 seconds left in the game. We are driving. We have I think 3rd down and nine or 2nd and nine, not much time left… so what do we do… a FREAKING DRAW PLAY which we fumble and essentially hand the victory to UCLA?

I’m no football genius, but the play selection tonight was baffling to me.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I still can’t figure out what offense Utah runs….power/spread/read option hybrid doesn’t really excite me. I don’t have the hearts and minds of the youth of this world. In fact teenagers just drive me crazy too be honest. But they watch that offense and ask themselves where is my spot?

Johnny Utah
      Ute Fan
      @johnnyutah

Did Travis audible at times or keep it during option plays?

Anonymous
      Inactive

On the 1st and goal first down, Wilson blew the read and kept the ball. Williams would have scored fairly easily. Did not understand the next 3 plays. UCLA had everyone at the line anticipating a run. They should have tried a quick short pass at least on 2nd down.

The final fumble was a WTF, but by then the crowd had become numb to it.

I’m sure there are posters on that other board scramming why they didn’t open up the pass game. If you haven’t figured out by now that you can’t open up what your player’s skill set don’t have, you never will.

I hope they can pull a win over Colorado.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

So the last fumble apparently was PLAY ACTION. How funny is that? It didn’t even cross my mind that in an obvious passing situation we would do play action. Not going to fool anyone. The fake was so bad that it was fumbled. So awful. A mistake made in the first few days of camp, not in the 2nd to last game of the season with a freaking championship on the line.

Anonymous
        Inactive

I think Whitt admitted to the play action with much embarrassment in retrospect.

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

I think Whitt admitted to the play action with much embarrassment in retrospect.

He did? How? What did he say?

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football UCLA Game Play Calling?