Utah not even scoring a TD against UCLA still bugs me.

Viewing 8 reply threads

Anonymous
      Inactive

I don’t know when I will get over it but good hell look at what Nebraska did??!!

Puget Ute
      Ute Fan
      @pugetute

First and goal at the 2, and we settled for a FG. Awful. Booker rushing up the gut scores that TD on 2nd or 3rd down. Very frustrating.

On the other hand at least we drew an easy bowl opponent. I fear we were too beat up to outlast Nebraska or Miami this year.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Yeah that was pathetic. The red zone play calls were awful. Not sure if Wilson audibled to those outside plays or what.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Ugggh I could never be a coach it would be too frustrating.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Yes with Booker that 1st and goal series is 7 points.

Wilson made a bad read on keeping it on 1st down when he should have handed off to Williams. Frankly, Wilson was always too big of a target on short yardage situations. He was at his best going north/south in the middle of the field.

2nd and 3rd down were WTF plays. UCLA had completely stuffed the box with at least 9 players. The play to call there is a fade pass to the corner, if you had the QB to pull that off, or any sort of jet sweep with a speed player around the end. Instead, Wilson keeps the ball and gets stuffed twice. SMH.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Right. Our ability to read defenses and adjust with a proper play to exploit what they were doing (like stacking the box) was poor this year (and last year, and the previous year, and the previous year…).

89ute
      Ute Fan
      @89ute

The UCLA game was very weird. Weird in terms of the vibe in the stadium. It should have been rockin’ like it was against Michigan. We should have set an attendance record, the place should have been absolutely nuts! But it wasn’t. The game felt like a loss since the last play of the Arizona game.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

It was pretty damn cold that day, except for UCLA.

Anonymous
      Inactive

The crowd was more subdued and yea it was cold. I think everyone knew that our one dimensional offense, now missing the one (Booker), was not a good omen. Started off OK, but the Williams fumble in the red zone was a major blow. Then we went like two quarters doing nothing on offense. Hard to get excited about that. I kept getting up and yelling on 3rd downs and critical downs on offense, as it kept me warm.

rbmw263
      Ute Fan
      @rbmw263

The way we ended the season bothers me less in hindsight. We were very clearly a shell of our week 1-10 version of ourselves. I mean, I cant remember a team having their top 2 RB/TE/WRs out. How much that hurt Travis is very underrated.

So would you have rather beat UCLA, gotten smoked by Stanford in the P12CG and smoked by Wisconsin in the Holliday bowl, finishing 10-4 and MAYBE ranked, or finish 10-3 with a bowl win, and send our seniors out with a W? The week 8 version of our team scraps with Stanford in the CG, and then potentially beats Wisconsin. That was the best possible outcome to this season, but it just wasnt possible with what we were working with weeks 10-13

Anonymous
        Inactive

One could agonize forever about what it could have been if we had an effective offense that included a throw game to go with an outstanding defense. It’s just time to move on.

I know that UCLA will be down next year as they lose 3 starters on the OL.

USC will be fielding a new QB behind a weak OL. If it’s Max Browne, he’s not a mobile QB which will make it interesting.

rbmw263
          Ute Fan
          @rbmw263

UCLA has Rosen, they will be a force

Anonymous
        Inactive

Not playing BYU would have been better.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Utah not even scoring a TD against UCLA still bugs me.