Utes Women's BB & Volleyball

Viewing 1 reply thread

Anonymous
      Ute Fan
      @anonymous

FWIW…it seems as though both of these programs have had a really good recruiting class.

WBB–picked up two big, 6’5″ international players, one from Canada and one from Finland. I think the recruiting class is ranked in the 30’s.

Volleyball–this class is ranked #11 by PrepVolleyball, the highest since mid-2000. I used to work for Coach Launiere as a student assistant coach, so I have a more personal interest in the program. 

Pac 12 for both sports, in addition to softball, is pretty much the top 1/2 conference, so it will be interesting to see how these recruits develop within the next couple of years.

UTE98
      Ute Fan
      @ute98

I think this year’s Volleyball team has a shot at being top 3-4 in the Pac. They’ve got some pretty impressive players. The Anae-ilator!!!!! Bradlee’s older sister, may have played a part in why he came for football. She’s probably my favorite player, but they’re all great, and greet my family and talk with us after the games here in Colorado. Beth has established a strong program, and beat some pretty good teams last year. You knew when Anae was a Freshman she was going to be special. My girls also like 

If you’ve never been to a Volleyball game I highly recommend it, the team is fun and exciting to watch.

justaute, do you know what happened to Megan Shughrou, Emma Kirst and Jessie Openshaw? I don’t see them on this year’s roster. They all played a role last year as underclassmen.

Megan did a great job at Libero, I always liked Tess Sutton and was surprised to see her replaced, but Megan did a great job.

Anonymous
        Ute Fan
        @anonymous

Kirst — I believe she transferred to Long Beach State.
        Openshaw — I read that she’s not playing anymore.
        Shughrou — not sure what happened to her.

This year’s outcome will be interesting in that I think it largely depends on how the new players develop. Last year, my opinion is that our middle and O2 were not really effective. O2 had a hard time putting balls away. Middles were slow. Relied too much on Anae. Just about every P12 team has an “Anae”, but they also have more in other positions. As this will be Anae’s final season, I am hopeful the young players will develop fast to send her off on a high note.

UTE98
          Ute Fan
          @ute98

So who do you think will play Libero?

I think setting wasn’t bad last year, but yeah OH other than Anae needed a bit. Berkeley improved from her freshman year, I think Katoa might have been hurt part of the year, or was that 2015ish?

Recruiting definitely seems to be looking up.

Anonymous
            Ute Fan
            @anonymous

Not sure about the libero position — the team is carrying 2 full-time liberos/DS and 1 part-time in Glasker. I’m sure Beth will figure it out.

Our setters, in my opinion, put up too many sets that “drift” away from the net — this makes the set hard to hit. And, as we were under-sized at the pin positions, the sets needed to be quick and on-target.

Katoa was fine this past season as far as health goes. She’s a terrific athlete, but a bit one dimensional on offense. She jumps well and is explosive, and also hits the ball hard; however, she usually hits angle and hits the ball low, thus are often blocked. She also does not use the blockers enough. Hope she’ll continue to climb that learning-curve the upcoming season.

UTE98
              Ute Fan
              @ute98

You need to come to the game in Colorado this year, I want to meet you. Unless… You’re a vampire. Then I’d DEFINITELY want to meet you. Never met one before. Sorry odd stream of consciousness there.

Anonymous
                Ute Fan
                @anonymous

Sounds good. I’m in Pittsburgh, but am exploring moving back West. Though, given my professional background, there are fewer opportunities in the intermountain/rocky-mountain region.

Have not seen Utes vball in person since TCU/Utah; I used to live in Fort Worth, about 1/3 mile from the TCU campus.

UTE98
                  Ute Fan
                  @ute98

I can relate. I spent 8 years in Virginia for similar reasons. But on the bright side I saw the games at  North Carolina, Louisville, Michigan, and Notre Dame. Oh, and I did make the Liberty Bowl, that was a great game. Scalley had a great game. Sadly I moved the year before we played at Pittsburgh. Now I just settle for the Utah game at Colorado every other year and try to make it to Utah for a game each year. Sadly it’s been like every third year.

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Other Ute Sports Utes Women's BB & Volleyball