Washington game ramblings

Viewing 2 reply threads

Anonymous
      Inactive

Not as upset about this loss as I thought I would be.  It was a good game overall and played very well by both teams.  It was a game where both teams exchanged blows and found success.  I guess I am mostly upset with our fan base upset with a pretty good defensive effort against a team that has been on fire lately.  Browning looked ok despite his pooch punt being the game winning play.  Figure that out the game winning play in my mind was that pooch punt pinning Utah in the endzone.  Something a QB shouldn’t have to do.  I think Whitt should have called a timeout right there and got the team more ready for things.  

Offense:

A huge fan of the play action.  In fact Hans has a pretty awesome breakdown here on how well it worked against Washington:

I will use another of these videos but damn that is the offense I want for Utah right there.  Joe Williams gives you that dynamic because Utah was pretty balanced overall.  A few key drops and TWill not starting out well really sucked.  But Utah was down 14-0 and then responded with a 17-0 run.  The redzone playcalling drove me nuts, Moeai not getting out of bounds drove me nuts, the overall urgency of this team drives me nuts.  I think a two minute drill hurry up offense needs to be employed in the redzone.  Utah needs to have like three play calls ready to go and execute those plays to get it in.  No huddle up crap.  I think no Butler-Byrd was a wrinkle Utah could have really enjoyed.  CBB and Patrick on the field at the same time is going to be very nice someday. 

Hans again breaking down the last play is pretty much everything I said.  

Joe Williams’ effort on that underneath route was pretty disgusting.  Also looking at this TWill could have maybe ran the fifteen yards.  He has two big ugly blockers in front of him, Joe Williams is being covered by the only guy he has to beat.  Run it up to the right and you may make the marker.  TWill doesn’t really run anymore with speed so probably not going to happen.  

Special Teams:

https://youtu.be/rGazoIn_Iuk 

Coverage has been weak all season.  Watch the breakdown but also watch the poor angles.  Just bad angles that didn’t force the issue.  

https://cdn-e1.streamable.com/video/mp4/9tep.mp4?token=1479159059_24b3d4d96aea9e3771afc3523121250f2ad69fbd

Wishnowsky was almost trying to make contact to force a block in the back call.  Instead maybe you make the tackle?

Defense:

Total yards, yards per carry, rushing attemps TOP all of that never really matters to me.  Because Utah only allowed Washington to score 31 points and obviously only 24 is on the defense.  They forced a punt to give Utah the ball with 99 yards in front of them.  That is a win all day logn that is a win.  Tauteoli didn’t have a great game that was his first game back from injury.  Browning looked ok not like Heisman to me.  Washington will lose to USC and potentially in the Apple Cup.  They do not look like a CFP team to me.  Utah didn’t have Marcus Williams and look how well they did?? Scalley is doing a great job and Chase Hansen had himself a very good day again.  Tackling does need to improve and the angles the linebackers are taking need to improve.  

That is my summary but I will argue again Offense playcalling lost this game again.  Utah plays well at times sort of figures it out but can fall flat on their face other times.  I don’t believe it is talent it is coaching.  Roderick and Harding have great players out there that make some mental mistakes but they put them in terrible situations at times.  

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Thanks for the punt return video.  The only time I saw it was live and somehow I was looking at our coverage and not their blocking. So this was the first real time I saw all the blocks in the back. That’s terrible officiating.

SalUteopia
      Ute Fan
      @saluteopia

Why didn’t Butler-Byrd play?

Anonymous
        Inactive

Leg injury suffered in week previous games. He took some hits in that game. 

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Washington game ramblings