We are cursed when it comes to bowl matchups

Viewing 2 reply threads
      2 5

rbmw263
      Ute Fan
      @rbmw263

I dont really need to revisit the frustration of how our bowl selections played out the last 5 years. But in part you can blame the p12 only having 2 good bowl tie ins and us not being good enough to make those 2 bowls. This year, we’ve finally qualified for one of them, and weve drawn the worst big 12 participant since the Alamo became a top Big 12/Pac 12 bowl game and just the 2nd unranked participant (with the other coincidentally being 8-5 Texas in 2013)

Big 12 Alamo bowl participants 

2010 – #16 Oklahoma State

2011 – #15 Baylor

2012 – #23 Texas

2013 –  UR Texas

2014 – #11 K State

2015 – #11 TCU

2016 – #12 Oklahoma State

2017 – #13 TCU

2018 – #25 Iowa State

Obviously s**t luck making it in a year the b12 sent 2 teams to ny6 games. Id feel a lot better about this season ending with the Alamo bowl if we were playing, say, a 12th ranked Oklahoma state/15th ranked Baylor, etc…This isnt a bad Texas team (we could lose especially with a major strength of this team diminished by Julian and Jaylons absence), they just present zero opportunity to add to this season in any way shape or form. No matter how much we beat them by…

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

It started in 2004.

9 1

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

Playing Texas is now a poo poo game? Wow, Utah has risen to elite status. Question- what exactly has Utah accomplished in the past decade that supercedes Texas?

User Suspended
        @a2ute

They lost two conference championships games…..”put the coffee down, coffee is for closers” 

Seriously, I would not be surprised if Texas donkey punches the Utes in the bowl game.  

utefansince79
          Ute Fan
          @utefansince79

Texas may be significantly more challenging than many of our fans believe they will be.   Had a few bad losses, but gave LSU and Oklahoma very competative games too.   They were in the Sugar Bowl just last season.

MFury
            Ute Fan
            @mfury

This is a great bowl. Judgement on ranking alone misses the point. I have been on a 1.5 week media mostly hiatus, as my soul still aches after that s**t game – so no idea what media and fans are saying. So my totally uniformed view is:

– Any chance to beat Texas in Texas is awesome

– the atmosphere the longhorns fans will bring will be amazing. Lived in Dallas and Austin. I don’t love the horns, but respect their football tradition greatly

– I expect Texas to play up to the atmosphere, not down – expect to see them perform at their best

– IF we can pull off a win, it will be great for recruiting

I think the question is not about the opponent, but about which Utah team shows up. I’d love to see our “vs asu” team, I hope the “any game played in CA” stays home.

User Suspended
              @a2ute

It’s so frustraiting that kwhitt can’t get the best out of his team for the biggest games. a

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football We are cursed when it comes to bowl matchups