Weird play action- Baylor game

Viewing 3 reply threads

NashvilleTNUteFan
      Ute Fan
      @nashvilletnutefan

Been lurking on this board without an account for a while now and I really enjoy all the commentary. I was at the Baylor game on Saturday and echo what many have said on this board about the offense and hoping that NJ is QB2 going forward. I really like Barnes, the dude works his tail off, and I have nothing negative to say about him.

I will also say that if you would’ve told me 5 years ago that we would get to the point that we could beat 2 nationally respected P5 teams in a row (one being on the road) with our third/fourth string QB and several other key players out, I would’ve laughed in your face. This program has come such a long way, and although I was at times disgusted with our performance on Saturday I realize that coming out of there with a W was quite amazing given the circumstances. Credit to the players and coaches for battling through.

I like to go back and watch games that I attended, you pick up on things you didnt notice being there in real time. Went back and watched the game on Saturday and although I did notice it in real time, it was even more strange watching it on TV. I counted at least 3 instances where we ran some sort of weird play action where Barnes/Johnson would fake a handoff to absolutely nobody. I actually couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw it live, especially with it happening multiple times.

It gave Baylors d line at least an extra 2 seconds to get pressure and accomplished nothing. Did anyone else notice this? Maybe there was something I was missing. If we truly intended for the play to look like that, then thats one of the worst play calls in the history of organized football and I hope to never see it again.

HoosierUte
      Ute Fan
      @hoosierute

i saw that too, figured it was confusion about what the play call was.

utahwingman
      Ute Fan
      @utahwingman

The strange play that I remember was the one when JJ running behind a blocker but the blocker had no one to block, so he stood there looking for someone and JJ ran into him and got tackled for a loss.
      It was very hot and I can’t imagine trying to stay focus to run plays. I saw 87 (Yassmin?) standing on the sideline bending over. Seemed like he was struggling and medical staff had to come check on him. Hope we don’t play in Texas in early season anymore.
      Can’t wait to make more trips to see my Utes in Texas in Big12.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

There was one play where Barnes turned to his right to hand the ball off, but the back had gone to his left. Not sure if it was Barnes or the back the screwed up, but it was one of them.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Weird play action- Baylor game