What the move by Texas and Oklahoma could mean

Viewing 1 reply thread

Uteusmc
      Ute Fan
      @uteusmc

I always appreciate Jon Wilner’s articles. They are well-thought-out, researched and candid even if they don’t favor the PAC 12.  

ESPN long game

it is clear that the PAC12 is not in the best position  of the remaining conferences (besides the big 12)  but at least they have some level of control over their destiny especially when it comes to expansion. It is clear that the timing with the commissioner change was ideal because I do not think Larry was the man to handle this huge shift in college sports. Ideally I would like to see some type of agreement or more formal partnership with the Big Ten.  However, I don’t know how likely that would be since we need them more than they need us.

3 3

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

I think the PAC stays together for the time being. The BIG will do a scheduling partnership if it makes them more money. I don’t agree that they don’t need at least USC so they might be willing to do it. The gap between the SEC and everyone else is going to be huge. The BIG will be in a distant 2nd place. I think with this next go around, the PAC gets a huge pay day and everyone agrees to give USC a bigger percentage. Let’s face it, UCLA, OU and WA aren’t going to make the BIG anymore money. It’s pretty much only USC and ND at this point. If Oregon or Washington alone were to leave, we’d be fine. If USC leaves, the conference becomes a G5 conference.

MDUte
        Ute Fan
        @mdute

Good article by Wilner…thanks for posting! I’m not sure that it’s entirely true to say that the PAC needs the B1G more than the B1G needs the PAC. Clearly the B1G is in a stronger position than the PAC but the B1G is competing against the SEC right now IMO, not the PAC. And therefore, their only counter that I can see to the SEC taking Texas/OK is forming some type of deal with the PAC whether that be a merger of teams, scheduling agreement, or whatever can be constructed that adds the most value to the B1G. But the reason why I say that B1G needs the PAC is I don’t see another play for them that allows them to keep up with the SEC. Some of the ACC schools are good fits for the B1G but the PAC is far and away the sister conference to the B1G. 

Brettski
          Ute Fan
          @brettski

I tend to agree.  Take away OSU & Michigan and the Big X isn’t that much better than a Pac12 without USC / Oregon.  I would argue it would be a better conference, but we’re not talking about the same caliber top to bottom as the SEC

PhiladelphiaUte
          Ute Fan
          @philadelphiaute

I believe that if the BigTen does decide to expand, it won’t be anywhere in the western time zones.  If the BigTen had opted to expand with Rutgers and Maryland in order to capture the New York and Washington, D.C. media markets, they’d similarly likely be interested in the Universities of Virginia and North Carolina.  Additionally, they may even consider poaching Missouri from the SEC, as Mizzou would be a much better fit in the BigTen — both athletically, academically, and culturally — than they currently are in the SEC.

And if Syracuse could get their academics back in line with the AAU, I believe they too would have a better shot at BigTen expansion than anyone in the Pac-12 or Big XII.

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football What the move by Texas and Oklahoma could mean