When do the AP and coaches polls come out?

Viewing 5 reply threads

Tacoma Ute
      Ute Fan
      @tacomaute

While I agree with those who say it’s detrimental to have polls so early, I can’t help but eagerly anticipate them every year.

I think one of the biggest problems with the polls is that voters don’t readjust their votes soon enough after they find out that the preseason picks were way off.

They make teams that were ranked low earn there way up the polls and teams that were overhyped prior to the season stay near the top far too long after they’ve been exposed as not quite so great.

I think the voters should pretty much do a reboot each week based on the games that have been played to that point instead of factoring in there preseason hype or lack of hype.

• This topic was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by Tacoma Ute.

iamthepreacher
      Ute Fan
      @iamthepreacher

Spot on. The fact that there are 128 D1 teams and they try to rank the 25 best without any games played goes to show how much room there is for error. They should adjust more week to week than they actually do.

CincyUte
      Ute Fan
      @cincyute

I always like to look at the pre-season poll and think how eight or nine of those teams won’t be ranked at the end of the year.   And usually about five of them finish the regular season with six wins or less.  It’s the same story every year.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by CincyUte.

CincyUte
      Ute Fan
      @cincyute

In response to your question: last season, the pre-season coaches poll was released on July 30th and the pre-season AP poll was released on August 23rd.

Torg
      Ute Fan
      @torg

Anyone care to post some of the worst pre season predictions of the past few years?

CincyUte
        Ute Fan
        @cincyute

The biggest under-achiever last year was Auburn.  They were ranked No. 6 in the AP pre-season Top-25.  But they finished the year 7-6 with a win against Memphis in the Birmingham Bowl.

Georgia Tech started the year at No. 16; finished 3-9 (with wins against Alcorn St., Tulane and–oddly enough–Florida State).

The Pac-12 also had a few under-achievers last year, unfortunately (UCLA was No.13, ASU was No. 15 and Arizona was No. 22 in the pre-season AP poll).

CincyUte
          Ute Fan
          @cincyute

A few other notable misses include 2013 Florida (No. 10 pre-season AP, 4-8 finish); 2012 Arkansas (No. 10 pre-season AP, 4-8 finish); and 2010 Texas (No. 5 pre-season AP, 5-7 finish).

Some of the all-time epic fails were 2000 Alabama (No. 3 pre-season AP, 3-8 finish); 1989 UCLA (No. 6 pre-season AP, 3-7 finish); and 1984 Pitt (No. 3 pre-season AP, 3-7 finish).

rbmw263
      Ute Fan
      @rbmw263

I give us about a 2% chance of being ranked. We’ll probably get 1-10 votes.

Tacoma Ute
        Ute Fan
        @tacomaute

I’m thinking somewhere between 27 and 33 in the also receiving votes category. Maybe 110 points or so.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by Tacoma Ute.
Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football When do the AP and coaches polls come out?