First military action: a botch job?

Viewing 2 reply threads

KiYi-Ute
      Ute Fan
      @kiyi-ute

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/trump-launched-yemen-raid-told-obama-wouldn-article-1.2966736?cid=bitly

Whether this came from Bannon being on the NSC or Trump just wanting to appear tougher than Obama, nothing good came out of this. Now we leave Yemen largely unchecked after losing permission to operate there.

3 6

Utahute72
      Ute Fan
      @utahute72

Typical hatchet job from a liberal paper. This was a raid planned during the Obama administration and executed during the Trump administration. There was actionable intelligence gained from the raid, so yes it was a success in that it accomplished that limited objective. Both sides need to critically assess these actions with an eye toward how to improve the operations.

KiYi-Ute
        Ute Fan
        @kiyi-ute

Maybe I was misinformed, or interpreted things incorrectly. But if the intel was gathered during the Obama admin. but acted upon by the Trump admin, isn’t the latter more at fault? If the intel was no good, they still made the call to go in, no?

I guess we’ll have no way of knowing what the intel gained was, and if it was worth one Navy SEAL, several civilians, a $75 million helicopter, and losing access to work in Yemen.

I do fully agree with your last line.

2 2

Utahute72
          Ute Fan
          @utahute72

The only thing left for the Trump administration was to push the go button. They were waiting on the proper conditions (dark of the moon) and after the initial approval the first time that was available was when it was executed. I really can’t assess the worthiness, other than CENTCOM said they got actionable intelligence. How they use that we may never know. I do object to the Trump administration saying the Obama administration wouldn’t have acted, because clearly they were in position to do just that.

KiYi-Ute
            Ute Fan
            @kiyi-ute

Ah, it sounds like I fell victim to some mishandling of the story in that case. Kudos on the additional information.

I stand corrected, maybe not as botched as originally thought.

5 3

Riot West
            Ute Fan
            @riotwest

You sound like you know? Maybe you attended the briefings that Trump skips? I bet that there are a s**t ton of operations planned under Obama that haven’t happened because the intel isn’t adequate enough.

And Trump gets an American Hero killed and first thing he does at the National Prayer Breakfast is talk s**t about a television show. He’s a piece of trash. In my opinion, that makes George W’s dancing around at a police funeral look solemn and dignified.

Utahute72
              Ute Fan
              @utahute72

I am not a Trump supporter. His presidency has been the disaster I expected, but I understand how these operations work and the information I’ve heard tracks with how typical operations function. I just think we need to be clear about what did and did not happen.

UtahUteGuy
        Ute Fan
        @utahuteguy

In brief then, “Thanks, Obama!”

KiYi-Ute
          Ute Fan
          @kiyi-ute

Even as a guy who liked Obama, that joke will never get old.

Utahute72
      Ute Fan
      @utahute72

Yet another dumb comment from the Trump team. As a military briefer you do not want to spend any more time that you have to doing that chore. So the briefer will give the principal as much or little information as he needs. A lot of the information is in daily intelligence summaries. If that’s enough fine, but most decision makers want a deeper information dump that is in those few paragraphs.

Viewing 2 reply threads

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Politics First military action: a botch job?