Game awareness and the last play

Viewing 3 reply threads
      2 1

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

When Kuzma heaved the ball all the way down the court with 1 second left I was going WHAAAT???!!!!!  The necessary play was to get it in and try a half-court attempt at a 3, since we were down 3 points.  There was no reason chuck it inside the 3 point line.  Then we catch it and make a 2-pointer as time runs out and half the audience cheers!  WTF?  I guess the team and half the audience didn’t realize we were down 3 and not 2?

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

Not sure about crowd reaction, but with just 1 sec left didn’t feel like there was a lot of hope anyway.

Just thankful he got it to one of the Utes and the Ute launched a shot that went in.    I suppose they could hope for a whistle on the 2-pt shot but the refs were swallowing their whistles and would not likely make such a game-changing call without a solid foul.   No time to dribble back to the 3pt line – I suppose he could have tried to find a guy open up court further.  Who is the Utes’ go-to 3-pt guy?

Larry B
      Ute Fan
      @larryb

I thought his final shot was a bit of a head scratcher. Down 1 point and you take a 3, falling away from the basket… really?

PlainsUte
        Ute Fan
        @plainsute

This, the missed foul on the previous trip and the missed front end of a 1-and-1 could all be cited as daggers a couple trips prior could all be cited as daggers.

UteThunder
        Ute Fan
        @utethunder

I’m with Larry B. We inbounded the ball with 5 seconds left, down by 1 and we were in the bonus. Why are we heaving up a fade away 3 pointer with 4 seconds left? The play should have been to drive to the basket for a closer shot and/or perhaps a foul that sends us to the line.

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

The reason you shoot with 4 seconds left actually happened.  In case you MISS, you can rebound and have a chance to make another shot, or if they rebound, you foul and still have a shot to tie.  But after that we f’d it up.

KonaUte
      Ute Fan
      @konaute

It sucks to say it but Kuzma didn’t play smart on the last two plays of the game for us.  First the bad fade away shot and then on the last play instead of throwing it to Devin Daniels at mid court who was wide open for the game winning 3, he throws a full court pass for a two point shot.    At the end of the day it was just bad basketball strategy.  It really sucks because to that point we had played a damn good game and should have won that game. 

GameForAnyFuss
        Ute Fan
        @gameforanyfuss

This.

Listen, I love Kuzma and I love it that he wants to be the leader and put the game in his own hands when it’s all on the line, but crimony he makes some puzzling decisions.

When the whole game comes down to making or missing one shot, you want the highest percentage shot you can get, and/or will draw a foul. A fadeaway 3 is not that shot.

bopahull
          Ute Fan
          @bopahull

oN THE OTHER HAND IF THAT SHOT GOES DOWN WE WOULD ALL BE SINGING HIS PRAISES. vERY THIN LINE BETWEEN HERO AND GOAT. lIGHTEN UP, IT.S ONLY A GAME AND A YOUNG MAN MADE A MISTAKE WITH A DECISION HE HAD LITTLE TIME TO MAKE. (damn that cap lock key)

GameForAnyFuss
            Ute Fan
            @gameforanyfuss

No, I’d still be questioning the shot even if he’d hit it. I’m not saying Kuzma shouldn’t shoot threes, just that he shouldn’t shoot one in that situation. Nor do I need to “lighten up” as I’m not upset at all about the loss, and my post was quite rational and matter-of-fact.

Tony (admin)
              Admin/Founder
              @admin

Definitely not the shot we wanted, and UCLA knew that.  Well played on their part.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) Game awareness and the last play