2016-17 Runnin' Utes: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Viewing 4 reply threads

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

As some of you know, I’m pretty much the only person on earth who likes Ute basketball more than Ute football. Now I like football plenty, but I just live, eat, and breathe Utah basketball. I’ve been lucky enough to see every minute of the season so far (against one good team and a couple of bad ones), and here’s my good, bad, and ugly of the team and the players so far:

Team:
      Good:
      – This team likes to get to the basket. It’s a driving team. Fun to watch and they draw a lot of fouls.
      – Despite being a bit undersized, this is a better rebounding team than I expected.
      Bad:
      – This is a very poor outside shooting team. They can’t hit the ocean from a boat. Teams will pack the lane on defense and dare us to beat them from outside.
      – The defense does a lot of ball-watching. They get back-doored a ton.
      Ugly:
      – Turnovers continue to plague the program and will cost us some games this year.

Players:
      Good:
      – Kuzma is a man among boys. He would start on almost every team in the conference.
      – Bonam is our best slasher and only reasonable outside shooter.
      – I really like Devon Daniels’ game. Good defender, crazy athletic. And he’s only a freshman!
      Bad:
      – Jayce has been a letdown so far, but he’s getting better.
      – Sorry, I just don’t see it in Van Dyke.
      Ugly:
      – I couldn’t say enough about Rawson when Utah was feasting on cupcakes, but he had a disastrous night against Butler. I hope it was an anomaly and not what we’re going to see against good teams.

Overall I think Utah is going to finish mid-table in the conference and go to the NIT. Of course, the x-factor will be the mid-season arrivals. If they perform and are mesh with the team quickly, and if Barefield can shoot, this could be a bubble team. But in any case, I’m going to enjoy every minute of the season.

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

Agreed on Devon and Van Dyke.

Why is Van Dyke even starting?

rbmw263
        Ute Fan
        @rbmw263

Spacing probably 

rbmw263
      Ute Fan
      @rbmw263

My evenings have been swallowed up too much to justify watching our games against divison two, so last night was the first full game I saw.

We need a post presence. Badly. We play outside in and we don’t have nearly enough shooting.. That is just not going to get you shots consistently. Rawson didn’t get much help from the wing players on post sets but he seemed to do just about everything at the wrong time when we went to him.

You hit on turnovers.  Many of them came on the right idea with poor execution. Something we can get a handle on but we force it too much, which is, imo, a result of an offense that just isn’t dynamic right now.

Defense had a ton of lapses. A ton. Many on shots that were misses. Our zone needs a lot of work.

Larry needs to do a better job at getting van dyke looks. He seems to be the only pure shooter we have and we need tbat.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

The good news is Johnson is 7-0 and coordinated.  You can’t coach either of those. Hopefully he can develop into a major factor, but for a while he’s going to be a disaster.

AZUTE
      Ute Fan
      @azute

Some of you are very spoiled. You are used to 7 ft tall white guys coming in and put up big numbers as true freshman like JP did.

Jayce is technically a redshirt FR because he joined the team early last season after spring semester but little work was done on his development as a player since Utah was in the middle of the season and most practice time is spent on game prep and film study.

I think he just barely turned 19 and is just now getting his first extensive basketball coaching from Coach K. and it’s a different kind of coaching where say most coaches tell a player how to do it Coach K will lace up the sneakers and show him how to do it.

I’ve seen Coach K go one in one with Jayne on the block and push him around the floor teaching the whole time.

Kid will be great in a couple of years he just needs time to develop.

Daedalus
        Ute Fan
        @daedalus

Part of the reason we burden him with expectations is because he spent half a season practicing against Poeltl.  You’d think that’s a good experience boost right there.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) 2016-17 Runnin' Utes: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly