2016 P12 Championship game

Viewing 1 reply thread

Utebeam
      Ute Fan
      @utebeam

I watched the game between Washington and Colorado on the P12 network. The buffs got buffed. They looked terrible except for a few plays. Remind me why the Utes weren’t in the championship game? Seems like the South was a wreck that year and we had a shot. Who was the QB? Williams???

Hellhound152
      Ute Fan
      @hellhound152

Because they lost more conference games than Colorado and USC…  The South wasn’t exactly a wreck, Colorado was 10-2 going into the championship game with losses at Michigan and at USC.  USC finished ranked 3rd in the Country winning the Rose Bowl with losses to Alabama, Stanford, and Utah.  Utah was 5-4 in league and still finished 9-4 in the CFP top 25 as one of 5 Pac 12 teams who finished in the top 25.

Utebeam
        Ute Fan
        @utebeam

Thanks for the sarcasm. I was thinking this was the year we almost won the south but Colorado beat us out.

Hellhound152
          Ute Fan
          @hellhound152

You asked why?  Not how.  So the answer seemed sarcastic.  You were also correct that the Utes were in contention.  They were knocked out the 2nd to last game of the season when the Carrington toe tap happened. Had they won, the CU/Utah game would have been been the decider in the South.  As it was, a Colorado win and they were in.  If Utah would won in Boulder it would have sent USC to the championship game against UW, who the Trojans had soundly defeated in Seattle earlier in the season, with Washington having the only real shot at the playoff with a win.

Utesbyfive
          Ute Fan
          @utesbyfive

That was 2011, our first year in the league. That CU/UU game was absolutely cold and dreadful and left a sick feeling that stuck with me all off-season. It almost started a rivalry with the Buffs. Almost.

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football 2016 P12 Championship game