2016 Pac-12 predictions

Viewing 1 reply thread

Wilson’s Mustache
      Ute Fan
      @sigmaute

Defensive player of the year

Bonagura: USC LB Cam Smith takes a big step after an impressive debut season as a freshman.

Gemmell: Utah defensive tackle Lowell Lotulelei isn’t going to have huge, premium stats. But his presence alone alters the way people attack the Utes. He is quietly one of the best defensive players in the nation.

Jennings: Utah DL Kylie Fitts. Even without Lowell Lotulelei demanding so much attention on the interior of the Utah line, Fitts found ways to get to the opposing quarterback.

Lombardi: There’s talk of a refocused Eddie Vanderdoes — a version 2.0 — coming out of UCLA following last year’s knee injury, and he can be the difference between shoddy run defense and a serious Pac-12 South title run for the Bruins.

Miller: Eddie Vanderdoes. He flashed his All-America potential in Game 1 last year. If he stays healthy, he’ll do that all season.

Pac-12 South winner

Bonagura: USC earned the right to start on top with its convincing win against UCLA last year.

Gemmell: UCLA. The Bruins have a deep and veteran defense. The only question is whether the playmakers around Josh Rosen can meet expectations.

Jennings: UCLA. Josh Rosen’s clean play will get the Bruins through a relatively low-risk schedule with minimal bruises.

Lombardi: UCLA. Aside from returning quarterback Josh Rosen, the Bruins should be much sturdier against the run with Eddie Vanderdoes back from injury. UCLA’s secondary is already strong, so this projects to be a well-rounded team.

Miller: Utah. Perhaps this is off the grid some, but the Utes have the best collection of offensive and defensive linemen in the conference.

Read the Rest of ESPN’s Pac-12 Blog Predictions Here

Wilson’s Mustache
      Ute Fan
      @sigmaute

Utah should have won PAC-12 defensive player of the year last year with Gionni Paul. I’ll be shocked if we don’t get it this year between Marcus Williams, Lowell, Dimick, & Fitts.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

That really p**sed me off. Paul was ROBBED.

Matthew Thomas Castleton
          Ute Fan
          @mcastleton928

Yes he was. No way in hell should have DeForest Buckner won DPOY with that terrible defense.

Anonymous
        Inactive

Everyone is saying Oregon will be drastically improved on defense after losing the PAC 12 DPOY.  Yet with the DPOY they still were one of the worst in the nation.

KiYi-Ute
          Ute Fan
          @kiyi-ute

I agree that Paul got robbed. But I think that there is a chance that Oregon improves on defense this year. Brady Hoke may have been a s**tty Head Coach, but he knows defense. I think they definitely have the potential to improve.

Anonymous
            Inactive

They are switching to a 4-3 as well.  I think it will take two to three seasons to start seeing results.  But as you say anything is possible.

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football 2016 Pac-12 predictions