5 down lineman front

Viewing 2 reply threads

Sweetness
      Ute Fan
      @sweetness

I’m curious to hear what others think about the 5-1-5/5-2-4 formation Scalley has been using. I’ve rewatched both the BYU and SUU game and thus far it has been getting killed. I almost want to chart the game and put some numbers behind it to see if it really is as bad as I think it is. We were in that formation on all except one play for the BYU TD drive in the second quarter. For whatever reason, we don’t seem to be able to create much pressure in that formation and it’s leaving the middle of the field wide open. I get that Scalley is trying to keep his best players on the field, but why “trick-up” a defense that has been at the top of the pac12 the last two years and arguably has the most talent its ever had this year.

Is anyone else seeing the same thing?

Anonymous
      Inactive

Fitts was playing a linebacker position against BYU. I felt Utah has got more pressure last year and this year from a four man front as well.  Lotulellei absorbs two blockers typically anyways.  I will have to watch for this more going forward. SUU torched us for runs when he tried the five down lineman.

San Jose st also has a mobile type QB so it will be interesting to see the scheme. Also the pressures were correct on that final drive just execution was lacking.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I think with Fitts getting hurt you will see even less of it.  Pita T and Fitts are those combo OLB and DE. types.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football 5 down lineman front