ACC Tried to get the 3 Corner Schools Before the Big 12?

Viewing 3 reply threads

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

According to this report, they sure did:

The ACC Tried to Take Arizona, Arizona State, and Utah

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

I’m glad we’re not in the ACC.

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

I totally agree…I would hate to have to choose between Miami and Utah every year…plus the travel…it would make what USC, et. al. is going to do look like chump change.

RoboUte
          Ute Fan
          @hamplate

Since this isn’t the 80s that’s an easy choice. Besides, there’s only one “U” and it’s out west. Just like when the gamec**ks try to call themselves USC and nobody takes them seriously.

The Miami Ute
            Ute Fan
            @themiamiute

I was at Miami as a student when the Hurricanes won NCs in 89 and 91 (they also finished #2 in 1988). No disrespect, but people here in Utah have no idea what it feels like to be, by far, the best football team in the land and the national hype/hoopla that comes associated with that. Maybe someday but that’s doubtful. If Miami could retain all of the talent in the city of Miami (not the state of Florida but just the city of Miami), then they’d be ranked anywhere between #1-5 in the nation every year.

RoboUte
              Ute Fan
              @hamplate

I don’t doubt doubt that it was electric. I’m sure I’d be a fan too. But from where I’m standing if I’m still hanging my hat on something that happened in the 80s I’m already halfway to being a BYU fan and that’s halfway too far.

The Miami Ute
                Ute Fan
                @themiamiute

LOL…Miami won a Natty in 2001 and was robbed of another one by a phantom PI call in 2002.

RoboUte
                  Ute Fan
                  @hamplate

Alright I’ll give you that one because the year starts with a 2. But be warned you’re on thin ice. We’re at the point where its rare that anyone on the field of a college football game was even born yet in that season. Consider your memories probationary.

prestitute
          Ute Fan
          @prestitute

There would be some really cool games, but yeah, the travel would be brutal, and that league is likely not long for this world. I think the non-FSU/Clemson/Miami/UNC group is trying to handcuff the rest of those folks to avoid a catastrophic collapse.

RoboUte
      Ute Fan
      @hamplate

Maybe that wouldve saved the ACC from imploding in the future? I used to live in Raleigh so would’ve welcomed that change. The amount of talent UNC gets and how little they do with it is astounding and none of them ever get it when i s**t talk their team.

D T
        Ute Fan
        @azute1

I used to live in Raleigh myself & rooted for NCSU….UNC absolutely doesn’t play to their recruiting, ever.

alUmnUs
      Ute Fan
      @alumnus

I liked the idea of the ACC and PAC12 (minus USC & UCLA) merger.

Stanford & Cal’s deal into the ACC now is terrible.

Just remember, what is understood by the term “four corner schools.” It is a reference that only includes 1 Utah school.

RoboUte
        Ute Fan
        @hamplate

Ya what was it no media money for 7 years and a 3 year ramp up or something? that s**t is insulting. It surprises me very little the 4 corner schools passed if they were given a similar deal.

Plus this way we get to p**s off BYU again by getting full shares on day 1 in the big 12 where they don’t, even after a vote to advance their timeline.

alUmnUs
          Ute Fan
          @alumnus

Years 1-7: 30% share
          Year 8: 70% share
          Year 9: 75% share
          Year 10: 100% share

NarfUte
            Ute Fan
            @narfute

Cal is actually getting a full share, but graciously giving 70% of it back. This is the actual text from their press release.

“UC Berkeley will be joining the ACC as a full member in August 2024. The university will receive a full share of all revenues, including media revenue, while contributing back a portion of its media revenue to support and strengthen the conference and its current member institutions. UC Berkeley’s membership contribution will taper off until the 10th year, at which point it will begin retaining 100% of its media revenue share. The fact that annual revenue will increase over time was an important factor in the agreement.”

Talk about spin

The Miami Ute
              Ute Fan
              @themiamiute

LOL…that’s like saying I live tax-free but I give a portion of my income to the government to show solidarity…what an utter lack of respect for college football fans to feed them a line like that.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football ACC Tried to get the 3 Corner Schools Before the Big 12?