Adventures in Golf – Bethpage Black

Viewing 5 reply threads

KoolWhitt
      Ute Fan
      @koolwhitt

A Gators fan asked UteHub prior to the Florida game about where to golf in Utah, and based on responses it seems like there’s quite a few folks here who like to play. The stars aligned for me yesterday and I got to play Bethpage Black, and I thought I’d share. Tony, I apologize if this should be posted elsewhere but I didn’t quite know where to put it.

Before I get into The Black, please feel free to share your favorite courses. I travel a lot and I always like to play new places. Also, if you’ve played The Black too, please share! I’d love to hear what you thought.

Anyhoo, onto Bethpage Black:

The Good – the course is everything you’d expect from a place that has hosted multiple majors and is about to host the Ryder Cup. Immaculate fairways and greens, even after a full season of play. And that’s not just The Black; the other four courses there all looked spectacular too. The Park in general is just a great place to play; there’s no houses, buildings, or structures to take away the feeling that golf can and should be an escape from urban congestion (if you can’t tell, I HATE courses that have houses built ten feet off the fairway). The difficulty is apparent but also, dare I say, more legend than reality. Yes, there are some ridiculously challenging tee shots and the whole course is brutally punishing from the rough, but otherwise the difficulty can be described as simply “tough but fair,” though if I’m being perfectly honest, it’s one of only two courses I’ve ever played where absolutely no one – not even the biggest braggarts – dared challenge the tips, and I think that says a lot. Also, I was extremely fortunate weather-wise; perfectly sunny but cool, and not a breath of wind. The greens are especially fair; no insane undulations or pin positions. Overall, I don’t think I stopped smiling once during the entire round. One more thing – at $140, the greens fees are a downright bargain, if not a steal. I’d honestly expect to play triple that for a course of this quality.

The tolerable – the course lacked a bit of variety in some spots. Purists will probably kill me for this but there were two times on the course where I felt like I was playing a hole I had already played all over again. Also – and I think this is related to the legendary difficulty of the course and the idea that The Black is a true mental and physical endurance test of golf – but the walking only policy is a bit silly. Especially given that you are perfectly free to ride on any of the other four Bethpage courses.

The less good – services are non-existent on the course. Whatever you will need in terms of food and (especially) drink better be in your bag when you tee off at 1 because you won’t be back for 5 hours. This is especially annoying since you are required to walk. Even water fountains are scarce. The turn does not find you back at the clubhouse and there is no halfway house (even though there definitely is room for one between 9 and 10). Oddly, the only food on the course is a snack shack between 5 and 6, which you never return to unless you want to stop for a snack smack in the middle of playing 13.

The Bad – the tee time reservation policy is just silly. NY residents can book seven days in advance; everyone else gets five days. This means that unless you are a resident, chances are remote that you can find a tee time during peak season unless you want to start your round on a Wednesday 3 hours before the sun goes down. And yes, you have to prove to the system that you are a NY resident in order to register as one. Also, they check your ID at check in and the starter checks it again at the first tee (to make sure you didn’t buy someone else’s tee time). The only other way to get on is to sleep in the parking lot overnight (yes, you read that right); the course leaves a few slots open everyday for dedicated (desperate?) golfers who are willing to do that.

Overall – an incredible experience that I feel very fortunate to have had the chance to do. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it to anyone who loves golf. Just ignore the sign on the first tee that warns you that The Black is for expert golfers only. I’m a high handicapper and, while the difficulty always meant that I wasn’t going to have my best day scoring, it wasn’t so hard that I couldn’t have a blast. And I definitely did.

I’m going to Missouri for Thanksgiving and hoping to play a few rounds at Big Cedar (definitely Ozarks and probably Payne’s Valley); if people dig this thread I’ll do another one for that.

Thanks y’all; hit ‘em straight!

Jim Vanderhoof
      Ute Fan
      @jvhoofs

Brandon Dunes in Oregon. 4 of 5 courses.

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

how many days were fogged out?

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

Bandon Dunes is probably the best golf in the USA. Played there many times. Been on several photo shoots up there too. Here’s a fun one:

Bandon Dunes

p.s. it is really nice to post about something other than Cam!

KoolWhitt
          Ute Fan
          @koolwhitt

Very cool Tony, and great photo! Any favorite memories of Bandon you don’t mind sharing?

Thanks as well for the link to your blog; I’ll definitely check that out!

And yes, I too thought it would be fun to talk about something other than Cam or our complete and utter laundry list of injuries for just a bit.

KoolWhitt
        Ute Fan
        @koolwhitt

Nice Jim! Never been to Bandon but it is very, very high on my list. Which of the 4 was your favorite? And which one did you skip?

When I played Bethpage, one of the guys I was paired up with was wearing a Pacific Dunes sweatshirt so I asked him about Bandon; he also had played 4 of 5 (skipped Old Mac). Definitely had very cool things to say about the whole place; made me want to get out there even more!

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Nice review! I moved it from the Football category to the Misc category. Did you know I have a golf blog? You could post a guest post review! Check it out at HookedOnGolfBlog.com

tanute3
      Ute Fan
      @tanute3

Fun read, thanks for sharing! I think we may need to set up a little UteHub golfers cup for next summer…? 😉

KoolWhitt
        Ute Fan
        @koolwhitt

That would be a blast; what a fun idea!

dcdacy
      Ute Fan
      @dcdacy

I just got back from a Palm Springs trip with 7 of my old Highland High buddies. 108 holes in 4 days. Highlight was playing Bighonr Golf Club, site of the early Matches between Tiger and others. At PGA West, we played the Pete Dye stadium course, which was awesome. Nicklaus course was ho-hum and the greens were subpar. 153 course in the greater Palm Springs area, almost criminal when you consider the water situation, but a guilty pleasure when you are down there becasue so many of them are beautiful and fun to play.

TX_UTE
      Ute Fan
      @dleemiller

Thanks for the review, KoolWhitt. I’m in Monterey for a family wedding and joined a wedding party group playing Bayonet/Blackhorse in Seaside, CA yesterday. Its a former military course and they are always nice and well cared for. Only downside is the course is now public and there is construction underway as they are building residential units so lots of equipment and foundation work going on around you, but that didn’t take away from some spectacular views of the Pacific!

And as always, Go Utes!

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Misc Adventures in Golf – Bethpage Black