Any word on Daniels? Could be important….

Viewing 2 reply threads

OHIOUTE
      Ute Fan
      @ohioute22

After all that is said and done Utes could still get 4th place and first round bye………is PAC12 a 3 bid league, or would the comittee take Cal and USC over Utah?

TheJuggernaut
      Ute Fan
      @thejuggernaut

The committee would absolutely take Cal and USC over Utah, but Cal and USC are currently in Lunardi’s Last Four In in the latest bracketology, so both are on thin ice.

USC has the Washington schools at home this week, Cal is at Utah and Colorado. I’m predicting SC wins both games this week and is the PAC’s fourth NCAA bid, Utah and Cal end up in the NIT.

OHIOUTE
        Ute Fan
        @ohioute22

If Utah Wins out are they the 4th seed?

Milton Vanderslice
          Ute Fan
          @miltonvanderslice

Cal needs to lose to one more team besides us.

OHIOUTE
            Ute Fan
            @ohioute22

Cal has the tie breaker over us if we beat them this week?

Milton Vanderslice
              Ute Fan
              @miltonvanderslice

They would if they win the rest.  We have the same record against everyone else in the conference but OSU.  It’s that OSU loss that would give them the tiebreaker.

Minnesota Ute
        Ute Fan
        @minnesotaute

Every game is critical this week, USC should win both their games this week, but still only leaves them at 10-8 in conference, whereas the Cal/Utah game looms large, and IF we can win that one, then the Co/Cal is equally huge.  IF Utah wins both we’ll be 11-7 with head to head over USC and a split home/home with Cal.  So I think we squeak in if Cal loses to Colorado, but we fall out if they win.  Pac should be a 4 bid league, and doubt it will be a 5 bid league but wouldn’t shock me.  Being a 3 bid league would however.

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

Some of our losses and RPI are very bad.  If we are #4 I think the pac-12 should be a 3-bid league.

Tacoma Ute
            Ute Fan
            @tacomaute

Sad but true. There’s no way we deserve a tourney bid unless we do something shocking in the PAC12 tourney. Our resume right now is not even remotely close to NCAA tournament worthy.

Milton Vanderslice
              Ute Fan
              @miltonvanderslice

The only way I see us advancing deep in the P12 tourney is get that 4th seed.  Playing that extra game will kill any chances.

TheJuggernaut
              Ute Fan
              @thejuggernaut

Utah has to win the PAC12 tournament to get in the NCAA tournament, that will be much less likely without the first round bye.

Losing to Oregon St permanently pushed us off the bubble.

Puget Ute
                Ute Fan
                @pugetute

In the 2012 season UW was the #1 team in the PAC, but lost to OSU by 2 pts in the first round of the conference tournament and went to the Semifinals of the NIT (lost to Minnesota 68-67 in OT).

Incidentally that year Stanford finished #7 in the PAC, but went on to win the NIT (crushed Minnesota in the final).

Minnesota Ute
      Ute Fan
      @minnesotaute

Reply All: All of you are speaking like a bunch of Pac12 haters. [edit: No… you are thinking like a MWC member]

Folks are talking about the Big10 being a 7 bid league.  Well, that would include two currently 9-7 teams in a league with only two teams in the top 25, #16 Purdue & #22 Wisconsin.  Michigan’s best win is against then #2 UCLA and basically played nobody else.  Northwestern is also 9-7 with their best win is then #22 Texas and played nobody else.  So spare me, if we finish 4th, we should be in.  

TheJuggernaut
        Ute Fan
        @thejuggernaut

Supposing we win both games this week, and finish fourth, I would expect our RPI (currently 82) to bump up into maybe the low 60s. USC (RPI 38) is our best win, Oregon St (RPI 295) is our worst loss. If we get the 4 seed in the PAC tournament and beat 5 seed Cal, we then get Oregon. Beating Oregon and getting to the PAC final puts us back on the bubble. I want to believe that finishing fourth in a power conference will be enough, but in our case I don’t think so.

I would say we need to get to the PAC final, that would mean we beat Cal and Oregon and would play Arizona or UCLA in the final – I expect Oregon, UCLA, and Arizona to all make the semis. These would be huge RPI boosts, probably landing us in 40s, which is definitely at large territory.

Matthew Thomas Castleton
        Ute Fan
        @mcastleton928

Reply All: All of you are speaking like a bunch of Pac12 haters. [edit: No… you are thinking like a MWC member]

Folks are talking about the Big10 being a 7 bid league. Well, that would include two currently 9-7 teams in a league with only two teams in the top 25, #16 Purdue & #22 Wisconsin. Michigan’s best win is against then #2 UCLA and basically played nobody else. Northwestern is also 9-7 with their best win is then #22 Texas and played nobody else. So spare me, if we finish 4th, we should be in.

Um, what was that? Actually, Michigan LOST to UCLA: Michigan @ UCLA

In fact, UCLA’s three losses are only @ Oregon (UCLA @ Oregon), @ USC (UCLA @ USC), and home vs. Arizona (Arizona @ UCLA).

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) Any word on Daniels? Could be important….