Basketball Recruiting and the NBA Draft

Viewing 1 reply thread

Parach-Ute
      Ute Fan
      @parach-ute

I am unclear about how fans expect that having three first round draft picks in the last three years will help Utah get bluechip basketball recruits. For the most part, the draft picks Utah had were developed (at Utah) over multiple years, and in the case of Kuzma three years. Although the end product of being drafted in the first round is nice, most bluechip players want to be a lottery pick after their first season and I don’t blame them ($$$). Utah’s best pitch is always going to be taking high three star and low four star guys, developing them, and getting them drafted after several years of development. Looking at Utah’s draft classes reflects that thinking (i.e. Tillman, Carlson, Brenchley, and Popoola). Yes, it would be very nice to get the occasional bluechipper but that is never going to be the way to sustained basketball success at Utah.

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

Compare the results with Kuzma to Eric Mika.   There you go.
      Not sure its about landing the 5-star 1-and-done but getting the better 3- to 4-star players.

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) Basketball Recruiting and the NBA Draft