Beehive Classic – Review

Viewing 2 reply threads
      4 3

gUrthBrooks
      Ute Fan
      @hammer

I stayed for both games. The Good. When Utah attacked the paint or got the ball to the post, the offense opened up for everyone. Going inside out really opened up the 3 point shot…but sometimes making 3’s is the worst thing that can happen for a team because then they stop attacking the hoop and just settle for 3 point shots. When Utah stopped attacking, the offense stagnated and Utah St. got some momentum. Utah’s Big’s were the best group of players from any team IMO because of their size. Rawson was the reason Utah. Utah will have the inside size advantage against BYU but BYU will have a major advantage at the guard position, unless Coach K can divise a plan to slow the BYU offense. It was nice to see that Utah by far had the best crowd, BYU the least crowd. Weber St.’s crowd was double that of BYU IMO. I was almost shocked at how small BYU’s crowd was. The best player on the floor for any team was Jerrick Harding the PG for Weber. Harding had 29 points and looked like Allen Iverson scoring the ball but less of a pull up shooter and more of a floater and get to the rim/glass kind of guy.  

The Bad. In the second half Utah stopped attacking the paint and getting the ball to the post. Utah was stifled by Utah States 3-2 defense, which I would think would be good for going into the post…but the wings and guards for Utah weren’t interested in passing the ball down low. Barefield is / was terrible.  He’s not really great at creating for others, he doesn’t like the post entry pass unless its a completely designed post play. Utah’s struggles this year will come because of a limited backcourt. Bibbins is a good scorer, can play “some” defense..but he can’t make the post entry pass and can’t make the pass to the big on the pick and roll because of his size. 

I felt like the UofU band missed an opportunity to stick around for the BYU game and play “Sitake and Detmer are coming to town. https://streamable.com/52lqx

I got a photo of Tommy Connor taking some notes while he was scouting the BYU / Weber St. game. “Zoomed in” I wasn’t this close to him. I would bet Utah loses at BYU but it could swing either way IMO. Utah’s backcourt is the wild card. https://snag.gy/ogyCus.jpg

vcsg01
      Ute Fan
      @vcsg01

Utah has for a long time had a bad habit of just going to a dribble and shoot a 3 offense whenever they get a comfortable lead and letting the other team back in the game.

gUrthBrooks
        Ute Fan
        @hammer

True. Bealer and a couple guys make 3’s (Which is fine), but then they feel like they can abandon the post or driving to the rim.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

That’s coaching. 

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

More classic than Beehive.

What was the attendance?  Some of the crowd shots looked sparse.  Didn’t see a single beehive hairdo.  Not even Marge Simpson in Aggie Blue or DSORB.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) Beehive Classic – Review