Caleb Repp is going to have a hard time holding down the starting DE job @ 230lb

Viewing 3 reply threads

gUrthBrooks
      Ute Fan
      @hammer

He’s 6’5”. Makes you wonder if the roster is up to date.

https://utahutes.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=7295

RiseasUtes
      Ute Fan
      @riseasutes

We have several speed DEs and then guys like Anae.  Hart, Heninger, Repp, Pirtle are all within 5 or so lbs of each other.  Anae, Tafua, Tupai are all around 245-255 so still not that big(weight wise).  Pita T, Orchard, Reilly were all on the lighter side when they played here and all of them did just fine.  I don’t have any issue with the weight as long as the production is there.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

Do you think Anae isn’t a speed guy? 

RiseasUtes
          Ute Fan
          @riseasutes

He has speed, but I was more categorizing the DEs by weight/size.  He is one of our bigger DEs, but still is quite quick.

If he learns how to set the edge this year he is going to be very good.

6 3

Utah
            Ute Fan
            @utah

Not very good. Elite. He is on watchlists for the best defensive player in college football right now. He is already very good. 

3 1

RiseasUtes
              Ute Fan
              @riseasutes

Elite is thrown around too much for me. He has the tools to be elite, but he isn’t there yet.  Way too many times last year he got pulled in and lost the edge.  He is great at some aspects of the game and needs work on some others, I believe he will take a big step this year(Gary Anderson can help him become elite).

Utah
                Ute Fan
                @utah

So, being on a watchlist for top defensive player in college football isn’t elite?

RiseasUtes
                  Ute Fan
                  @riseasutes

No, there are 90 guys on that watchlist, do you believe every single one of them are elite?  If so your standard for elite is just different than mine and we are just debating use of words.

When he fixes a few issues he has with his game and starts being talked about as a top 15 player in the NFL draft then I will believe he is elite.  I’ve rewatched all the games from last year(a few times) and he has some issues misreading plays too often. 

EagleMountainUte
                    Ute Fan
                    @battlegroundute

Elite=win the award. 

UteThunder
                      Ute Fan
                      @utethunder

I don’t think you have to win the award to be considered elite. Being a finalist or even a semi-finalist fits the bill for me. In other words, top 5-15 at your position and you can be considered elite.

EagleMountainUte
                        Ute Fan
                        @battlegroundute

Elite is the the peak. I just think it shouldn’t be thrown around until you are good in all facets of your position. Anae has elite potential I will concede that. Measurable and everything are perfect. 

Tony (admin)
                Admin/Founder
                @admin

I’d say elite is first round NFL draft. Maybe some 2nd round. 

RiseasUtes
                  Ute Fan
                  @riseasutes

Usually I count elite as the blue chip prospects, which are usually the top 10-15 guys any given year.  I don’t disagree with the first round option although lots of teams take guys with “potential” in the first round.  Many of whom didn’t have elite production.  I still feel Anae can reach that point and I’m not even trying to knock him with my debate with Utah.  I’m just trying to be honest, and I see a few things about his game he can improve on.

EagleMountainUte
                    Ute Fan
                    @battlegroundute

I see potential already, elite is a pretty high standard for DE at Utah. He does lead all current DE in sacks. 

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Gary said on the radio that Bradlee Anae and Max Tupai will be on one side of the defense. Mika Tafua, Repp and Heninger will be on the other side. Repp ain’t starting. This is one of those motivational ploys by the coaches to keep kids engaged. Repp has an NFL ceiling. Help him get there. 

I posted this before, but here is what I think the depth chart will look like this fall on the Mika side: 

First, second downs: Mika Tafua, Nick Heninger

Third down: Mika Tafua, Caleb Repp

jrj84105
      Ute Fan
      @jrj84105

Motivation.  That’s what the roster is for.  Still wish that Repp was on offense and bulking up to play TE.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Caleb Repp is going to have a hard time holding down the starting DE job @ 230lb