Clock Management in Q2 vs AZ

Viewing 4 reply threads

ManUte
      Ute Fan
      @manute

Did Kyle ever explain why he didn’t use some timeouts at the end of the 2nd Q?

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

That last couple of minutes of that quarter was pretty bad. 

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

He only said that he would call the same play again. It wasn’t anything done wrong on the final play mostly that Arizona made a play. I would have liked to know the logic of not saving some time so you could run more plays at the goal line. 

Utah hasn’t been very good in short yardage situations all year. They are very good in motion plays and extending to the edges however. That Kuithe play is seriously unfair for defenses. The timing is just perfect. 

Anonymous
      Ute Fan
      @anonymous

He did mention that there was a mistake in that plays should have been executed with more time left in the play-clock.

Dallas
      Ute Fan
      @dallas

4th and goal on the one yard line with one second left. The problem wasn’t clock management. It was execution.

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

I disagree and here is why.  We had three timeouts and ended up with 6 seconds on third down and goal.  That limited our options on that play.  We had to do something that took less than 6 seconds or score a TD.  I do not disagree with KW’s decision to go for it on 4th down on the one.  But, I think that it was horrible clock management during the last minute of the half.  So what if UA had 30 seconds left in the half after we scored?  Our defense had totally shut them down.  They weren’t going to score.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

I see your point. The larger point was it seemed situational. What if that was the fourth quarter against Oregon in the CCG?  Utah coaches say they are not looking ahead but Arizona and Colorado are glorified scrimmages for this Utah team. I think Ludwig and Whitt were trying to get them to score and do it to end the game in a way. 

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Also the game over moment for Arizona was the fourth down conversion attempts in the third. The fourth and four attempt that Nurse totally smashed on an island compared to Simpkins early score. That Arizona team was pathetic. 

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Clock Management in Q2 vs AZ