Dilemma

Viewing 3 reply threads

Chucker
      Ute Fan
      @chucker

When my boys were in high school an incoming Ute was on their team.  The kid is a good player and with his playing ability deserves to play at the D1 level.  His character is questionable at best.  He thought he should start as a freshman when he clearly was not good enough.  It wasn’t till his junior year when he earned the starting role.  He would openly say he hoped the guys in front of him would get hurt so he could get playing time.  He also was a locker room problem that had to be dealt with formally several times including being suspended from games.

On top of it his parents would openly call out players on the field who made mistakes and would yell at the coaches for their son to go in the game.  Twice his parents were suspended for attending games because of their behavior. 

With the talent the Utes have he might not play much for a year or two.  But because of his talent it would not surprise me if he gets time in the future. 

I will always support the Utes but the next few years are going to be tough knowing this player is going to be on the team.  I will never let it be known to people who don’t have prior knowledge who this player is but most of his high school teammates do not want him to succeed. 

I hope the kid matures and buys into the team concept. 

Enough bitching…

Go Utes

Anonymous
      Ute Fan
      @anonymous

Hope this kid works out.

Having participated in a D1 sport and worked-out with Utah football players in the same facility, I know D1 athletes won’t take any of that crap. If his attitude does not change, he will get his butt whipped; then he would have to either shape-up or just become a pariah, which will lead to an exit. If not, then it will be on the coaches. Based on what I’ve seen of Whit, just can’t see that would be the case. Nonetheless, I guess anything can happen.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

I agree with this. I’d bet he is humbled quickly or leaves quickly. Utah has a great culture that doesn’t take any of that crap. 

gUrthBrooks
      Ute Fan
      @hammer

I trust in Whitt. This ain’t his first rodeo. I’m not saying that he’ll turn this kid around, but Whitt, Scalley, Taylor will give him a dose of real life really quick, IMO. The kid can have a s**tty attitude all he wants, but if he can’t perform, he won’t play, if he can perform at practice and game time without disrupting the team, he’ll play. 

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

If it makes you feel any better, there is a current player on the football team who is entering his junior season. Having known him in high school, he had similar issues prior to signing with Utah and I worried about whether he would work out or not. I don’t have any inside info for how he is in practice, but on game days he has been a good contributor. So I assume he learned real quick that his prima donna attitude wasn’t going to fly with Kyle.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Misc Dilemma