Everyone is jumping ship a little early

Viewing 3 reply threads

Kyler Marvin
      Ute Fan
      @youngute

I don’t know if I am missing something but it seems like everyone thinks the season is over before it has really even started. Yes BYU dominated almost all of that game but I don’t think we give them enough credit for how bad they wanted this, it had been a decade of losses for them and they really wanted that win, this is the game of the year for them because they don’t get to look forward to competing for a conference yet. I also believe that them getting a full schedule last year instead of a couple random games helped with getting there younger players experience.

One thing worth looking forward too is that we have a strong RB1 and even with O-line struggles he was able to get tons of yards. I was at the game so I wasn’t able to watch all the details as closely as usual but the biggest concern I have is the pass rush and being able to get sacks, it seemed like all game our linemen struggled to get to the quarterback and if they did they weren’t able to accomplish anything. Brewer looked decent but not much more. He doesn’t seem like the type to lose a team a lot of games but he isn’t going to be the difference in winning either.

Even with this bad loss I still don’t see how the season is over or how we are going to lose to SDSU next week like I have heard some people say.

I am still hoping this serves as a shock to the team so that they will come with a lot more energy and focus going forward, but if things keep going this way and we aren’t playing physical football like Utah does then I can see the season falling apart.

I just am hoping this will affect the team like the USC loss did in 2019 and we will come out and play like we want to be there.

Danilo
      Ute Fan
      @dan7

Yea I think that is a possibility. Probably our only chance to beat USC was getting our butts handed to us early on in the season. We’ll see if they dial in

utefansince79
      Ute Fan
      @utefansince79

You mentioned one thing that many have overlooked which is BYU had the advantage of playing a dozen games last season whereas Utah played just five.  

We still have the full conference schedule ahead of us (meanwhile USC dropped a home conference game which wasn’t close).

UteFanatic
        Ute Fan
        @utefanatic

The partial season is absolutely a factor, not the only factor, just one of many. Could explain why the P12 flat out sucked in week 1 and to a lesser extent, week 2.

utefansince79
          Ute Fan
          @utefansince79

Indeed while the PAC12 has wins over LSU and Ohio State, we have several losses to the MWC (Aztecs buried zona in Tucson last night) and the debacle of Montana winning in Seattle.  Meanwhile BYU could very well start the season 3-0 against PAC12 south division teams.

SantaVaca
      Ute Fan
      @santavaca

I hope you’re right. I’ve made it through the 5 stages of grief and I’m looking forward to how they look against SDSU. But I just don’t see how we somehow get stronger and better in 6 days on both the offensive and defensive lines.

I’m still shocked that we looked so bad in both areas. When was the last time, you saw any team – ANY TEAM line up and run the ball down our throats??? Let alone BYUP??

If we improve next week and look better, then I’ll chalk it up to a fluke game that just happens once in a while. But I’m scared to death that BYUP just merely showed the world our weaknesses and now every team we play from here on out is just going to do the same thing.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Everyone is jumping ship a little early