EWU / Taylor offense

Viewing 2 reply threads

sweetgrass
      Ute Fan
      @sweetgrass

Here is what I’ve noticed from watching some Eastern Washington Football/Troy Taylor offense video over the past few days.  There are several highlight videos and a couple full games on YouTube.

Here’s what I noticed:

Offense looks very similar to Roderick’s

QB in shot gun, never under center

1 back, 4 WR sets

On pass plays, QB takes 1-2 yard drop back (many times not even that) and the ball is out of the QB hands most of the time within 3 seconds.

Lots of slant’s WR screens, 5 yard outs, very short passes (didn’t hurt that EWU had the best WR in FCS history last year, an All-American, he will be an NFL Player – Cooper Kupp)

Offense seems to be geared to get the ball in playmakers hands and let them make plays

60/40 Pass to run ratio

Averaged 400 yards per game in the air

57 of 70 in red zone scores (50 TD’s)

QB averaged nearly 10 carries per game (43 yards per game)

Time of position 28 mins per game

I suspect there will be adjustments based on personnel, maybe not quite as pass heavy.  This sure seems to contrast what we know about Utah/Whitt, run the ball and stop the run.  The WR’s will love this offense.  Covey will be a God with Troy Taylor.

deleted
      Ute Fan
      @rolandovich

I have nightmares of the 2014 WSU, 2017 NC, and frankly the second half of the Superbowl with this kind of offense. I love the hit them quickly and hard at the beginning of games, but a gassed defense in the fourth quarter is often a byproduct of quick strike offenses. Hopefully a powerful run game remains a component of Taylor + Utah.  

KiYi-Ute
        Ute Fan
        @kiyi-ute

Agreed, especially with the run game. It would be a shame to put the talent that Moss and Shyne have to waste.

UtahFanSir
      Ute Fan
      @utahfansir

During one of the KCC’s games, the sports announcers showed an interesting statistic. When Alex Smith threw the ball within 2.25 seconds, his completion rate was like 70+%, after that, the percentage completion was like 30-%.

A key is recievers who can find the lane quickly, receive the ball.

TW1 and TW2 held the ball, looking for that right play, cautious so as to not have an interception. At that point, the offense concedes the advantage to the defense, one on one, who is better. Since the best players are on defense, you should guess the result.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football EWU / Taylor offense