For Friday Afternoon – Joe Williams vs UCLA highlights

Viewing 3 reply threads

kazute
      Ute Fan
      @kazute

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Huge props to Joe for that game but fUCLA rush defense was turrible that season. It was like the perfect story. Joe comes back to salvage the season and crushed a pathetic rush d team. 

Chidojuan
        Ute Fan
        @chidojuan

Thankfully, I don’t think Chip will fix the rush defense, as he is an offensive mind.  I hope we can just treat that like an OOC game and let all 4 of our backs run them into the ground.  Maybe we can even have Brumfield use one of his redshirt games.  Probably dangerous to get my hopes up, but until they prove they can stop it, I think we’ll have a good time watching Moss and Shine in the first half.

kazute
      Ute Fan
      @kazute

Based upon last year and scrimmages in spring ball, we seem to have gone away from the power run game (called run plays, with pulling linemen, and a dedication to keep pushing it up the middle). I believe that is by design to “modernize” the offense. Not to say we still won’t run it. It will be more of spread it out and hand it off to Moss to find his way upfield. In the scrimmages, we seemed to struggle in the short yardage power run situations and did much better when it was spread out.

I am thinking of the 2016 USC game in RES. We just kept running it at them. Sometimes we would have to go for it on 4th and 1 to get the first down, but we were committed to doing that… and it was working. I think we are giving a bit of that power up for a more dynamic passing game, which is fine with me. I just want to win.

Also regarding that Joe Williams UCLA game, our defense was not good that day either. Though I remember a few offensive turnovers that put them in bad positions.

Chidojuan
        Ute Fan
        @chidojuan

I think they threw something like 75 passes that game.  I remember we couldn’t get pressure and our DB’s missed a lot of tackles that game.  It was weird.  Marcus Williams was hurt that day and Cody Barton kept getting burned.  I think Tauteoli was hurt as well.  The lights really hadn’t turned on for Cody yet.  It really should’ve resembled the 2017 game, but what’s done is done, I’m glad we won anyway.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Agreed it was a fun and also frustrating game simultaneously. 

Utah doesn’t pull because we don’t have a sick athletic quick LT like Bolles. 

Chidojuan
            Ute Fan
            @chidojuan

That was actually something I found hilarious when he was here.  Defensive end’s job is to follow the pulling OL, but with Bolles it was like one second he was there, and the next he wasn’t, and all of a sudden a linebacker gets destroyed, and the DE is trying to figure out where the tackle went.  UCLA found that out the hard way.

Duhwayne
      Ute Fan
      @duhwayne

We used Ippolito as a blocking fullback a la Shawn Asiata last year. Hopefully we’ll have another. That is who we are.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football For Friday Afternoon – Joe Williams vs UCLA highlights