G5 Playoff and/or reorganization in talks

Viewing 1 reply thread

MDUte
      Ute Fan
      @mdute

G5 would be smart to do this IMO. Just hope the B12 and ACC leftovers don’t become part of it until Super League is finalized.

2008 National Champ
      Ute Fan
      @cptmrgn05

The problem is that the G5’s have had equal representation at the votes and keep voting to give themselves scraps. The time to stand up for themselves has pretty much passed by this point so I’m not sure what leverage they have.

Until they are willing to force change, this sounds like just more clickbait speculation

MDUte
        Ute Fan
        @mdute

Yea maybe so. It seems like they’d be better off doing their own thing and getting a media partner behind it. But yea, they’ll probably just continue accepting the scraps until forced to do something different.

2008 National Champ
          Ute Fan
          @cptmrgn05

There’s been 11 votes(voters) since they decided to go to a playoff and it has had to be unanimous every step of the way. The time to force anything was before the initial playoff started, and the next best option was while the 12 team options were being floated. Instead, they were just happy to go along with the bigger conferences as long as they got 1 autobid for 60+ teams and a pittance of the revenue sharing.

Now that the superconference train seems to be reaching critical mass, saying that you want exactly what you are probably going to be left with anyway just doesn’t move the needle.

Central Coast Ute
            Ute Fan
            @flip2848

Had they pushed for it back then, we’d probably already be at the super conference level. There was no way USC, Bama, OSU, etc were going to share equal revenue with them. They would never vote for it either, leaving the votes less than unanimous. The G5 were just living for as long as they could. Honestly, it probably worked out better for Utah that way. They’re peaking at a good time.

2008 National Champ
              Ute Fan
              @cptmrgn05

I think it depends on what year you are talking. National opinion forced Utah to be allowed to break through in ’04 and by ’08/’09, there was a groundswell with TCU and Boise that one spot wasn’t enough. Realignment slowed that talk down but in the initial 4 team structure, the G5’s agreed to just the one spot that they were already getting instead of pushing for a 2nd guaranteed or higher revenue share(s) which they may have been able to get.

A decade later, I agree that they don’t have any leverage but superconference wasn’t really on the radar in 2011-2013. What I’ve found in my own negotiations is that I will never have more value and leverage than before I sign my first contract. I think that mindset is common, that once value has been established, it’s very hard to get the other side(s) to increase unless you can show them that you can get a better deal elsewhere and are prepared to leave.

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football G5 Playoff and/or reorganization in talks