Here is why Huntley is the correct choice, IMO.

Viewing 5 reply threads
      1 5

Larry B
      Ute Fan
      @larryb

I think we’ll have a QB transfer regardless of who is named the starter. If Huntley is the starter, Williams transfers, and vise versa. So the question that you have to ask is, who would we rather lose? My answer is Williams just for the fact that next year we would have ZERO experience at QB. So I think we let Williams go and hope Huntley doesn’t get injured.

Now, how will Tuttle feel about competing against a returning Jr. next year and Sr. in 2019? That would be my biggest concern.

Oh, and my source is telling me that Huntley is the better option… and my source is hardly ever wrong 🙂

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

Got any recruiting updates for us? 😉

3 3

Larry B
        Ute Fan
        @larryb

@UteThunder

In my defense RE: Cameron Latu, the source was from someone very close to the Latu’s and he told me that Cameron wanted to stay close to home and he felt like Utah was in the lead.

FWIW, after Cameron committed to Bama, this guy told me that Utah was legitimately in the running and that it was close.

So if there’s a silver lining, we were a close second to the best team in the country haha.

Kayden47
      Ute Fan
      @kayden47

I highly doubt either player would transfer if they didn’t start. Specially Huntley.

UteThunder
        Ute Fan
        @utethunder

I would be surprised if Huntley transferred, but I would be more surprised if Williams DIDN’T transfer after being passed over. It’s his senior season and I’m sure he has hopes of making the NFL. That isn’t happening if he is riding the bench behind Huntley.

noneyadb
        Ute Fan
        @noneyadb

Cox transferred last year after Williams was named the starter. If Huntley does start, no way Williams sticks around as back up. He wants to win and compete against Washington. Look for him to transfer to Oregon State if Huntley starts.

ladyinred
      Ute Fan
      @ladyinred

Your source says Huntley? Sweet. Troy it is!

In all seriousness, I don’t get why Huntley transfers if Troy starts. He gets meaningful minutes this year, and takes the reigns next year. Why is it such a bad situation for him? Plus his 2 buddies are here. 
      I can see why Troy would transfer though. I think that would be terrible.

therealu
      Ute Fan
      @therealu

Isnt the only transfer option for Williams to a FCS school? And it is pretty damn late for that. My understanding is that kids get 5 years of elgibility once they first enroll (mission time excluded) to complete their college career. 

He already used his redshirt season – can he transfer to another D1 school and sitting out a year? I dont think he can… so unless he wants to drop down to a lower level again, he isnt transferring. 

noneyadb
        Ute Fan
        @noneyadb

Unless he graduated like Carrington, he can transfer and play immediately.

Onlyu
      Ute Fan
      @uf8fl

I’d say Huntley won’t go anywhere if he’s not the starter. He still has two years left and would be the heir apparent next year. He came back this year knowing Williams started 13 games last year and it would be very difficult to unseat him. There will be playing time for him this year regardless of whether he starts or not.

Tuttle is very exciting but a true freshman isn’t expecting to come to a team that will be preseason top 20 next year and start. Does he hope to? Of course, but it’s not very realistic and he seems like an extremely level headed guy. I can assure you they’re not promising him a starting role next year either. He committed to Utah knowing Troy was the starter and Huntley was the backup…even if that flip flops nothing really changes from his point of view, he’d still have to come in and beat out a talented Huntley.

Could Williams transfer with a week before games start…maybe, but not to a D1 that’s worth a damn. They’ve all gone through camp and most if not all have announced a starter. Learn a new offense and hope for a guy to get hurt or fail? No Redshirt left for him…he’d have to ride it out and see whether Tyler played well and hope for a chance. Anywhere else he decided to go he’d be the back up as well and the odds here would be just as good in that scenario.

Cox is probably the reason they waited to announce the starter…that decision was made a few weeks earlier last year and he bolted. These kids are pretty well locked in at this point.

noneyadb
        Ute Fan
        @noneyadb

Oregon State, their QB position is terrible, a senior led team with a lot of returning starters, with a coach and system that is similar to Utah. May have to sit a week or two but should win the starting job by conference play.

Personally, Starting Huntley would be a bad look for the program. Let Williams start and see what he can do healthy.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Here is why Huntley is the correct choice, IMO.