How Good is Washington?

Viewing 5 reply threads

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

I was looking at Washington last night…and there is a chance they aren’t great. Now, don’t get me wrong, they’ve looked incredible. And they are definitely a top 3 PAC-12 team.

BUT…what do we REALLY know about them? There is a chance that they haven’t played a team yet that will go bowling.

Rutgers – Rutgers is 2-4, with their two wins over Howard and New Mexico. Their losses are to Washington, Michigan, Iowa and Ohio State. Out of their 4 losses, Ohio State beat them by 58 and Michigan by 78. Washington won by 35. My point? Rutgers is really, really, really bad.

Idaho Vandals – They have lost to Washington and WSU. WSU beat them by more points (50 to 45).

Portland State – SJSU, Washington, Weber St, SUU have all beaten them.

Stanford/Oregon – Man, this seems weird typing this, but man, those two teams might not be that good. Oregon is on a four game losing streak, and Stanford has lost two in a row with ND and Colorado coming up. BUT, Stanford has beaten UCLA and USC. What a schizo team.

Arizona – Arizona took them to OT.

Here is what sucks: Petersen is a very, very good coach (I hate that guy). He now has a bye week, then OSU, then us. So, he has three weeks to get ready for us.

I DO think we can win that game. Especially with Troy Williams, who was benched for Browning. Williams will be out to prove that Washington made the wrong choice. If we can go into that game with Patrick, Moss, McCormick and Lo Falamaka healthy, we can beat them.

Or they could come out and beat us by 30. lol.

I love and hate being in the conference.

UTE98
      Ute Fan
      @ute98

I think they are pretty good.

But if I’m getting ready to face Utah after seeing what we did with our 5th and 6th string RBs last night. Meaning Troy Williams going off on the ground when we needed, I’m thinking, don’t hurt another RB.

Troy changed gears to running the ball as quick as I’ve ever seen a QB do. He was amazing.

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

Right now, I’m not sure how we beat Washington. Even at home. I mean, I’m a Ute and I will cheer loud and be there and hope my brain is wrong, but my mind is telling me the opposite of what my heart wants it to.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

If we have Moss, McCormick, Tim Patrick, B-B, Smith is healthier….

We can beat Washington. Troy Williams is becoming a HELL of a QB. If we can improve the weapons around him…we are every bit as good as Washington. 

Anonymous
          Inactive

He is starting to make reads of the entire defense. TWill needs a better clock though and run for the sticks if no one is open. 

noneyadb
          Ute Fan
          @noneyadb

Receiver’s need to quit dropping the damn ball. Singleton had atleast 7 passes thrown his way that he didn’t come down with. One he completely miss timed his jump, others he took his eye off the ball. Hell my dog can watch the ball better then these receiver’s.

bopahull
            Ute Fan
            @bopahull

The Arizona receivers seemed to catch anything that was vaguely in their area, why can’t we get a bunch of receivers like those?

89ute
      Ute Fan
      @89ute

This is not going to be popular but I’m sticking to my guns on this. DO NOT SCHEDULE TOUGH OPPONENTS OUT OF SCHEDULE. Worshington did it right. 9 conference games are a meat grinder where you lose a few players EVERY GAME. If we didn’t play Michigan last year, we win the south and you will not convince me otherwise. This year, we lose Kyle Fitts during the BYU game. I’m happy our out of conference schedule is s**t until we hit the Baylor series in 2023 or whatever the hell it is.

I’d like to see an out of conference schedule each year of SUU/Weber, Easy G5, another G5 or easy P5.

Getting through conference play is a war of attrition. I get that playing Michigan at home was one of the best games ever but we paid for it on the back end. We are still playing 500 ball in November and I think it’s because of depth. Each year our depth gets better and we’re almost there, or we might actually be there now. How nice would it be to have Kylie Fitts right now if we played the likes of Rutgers instead of BYU?

The grind will hit Worshinton at some point but they’re still going to be very fresh when they face us.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

I’ve been saying this for years as well. P5 scheduling is too tough, and recruiting is too tough, etc. 

Any intelligent person schedules down in OOC. You should progress like this:

1 – Schedule down. Make sure you have 7+ home games a year, even if you play Portland State and Idaho OOC. 

2 – Win 8+ games. Then win your bowl. 

3 – Recruit better. Get to top 25 in recruiting. 

4 – Win the south. 

5 – Recruit even better. Get in the top 25 every year in recruiting.

6 – Win the PAC-12. 

7 – Recruit better. No team has won a national title without a top 10 recruiting class the previous 5 years. 

8 – THEN, and ONLY THEN, upgrade the OOC. And, you ONLY do this if you are left out of the playoff. 

This “we need to schedule better OOC opponents” line of thinking is CRAZY. It’s G5 thinking and not realistic AT ALL. 

Hell, even USC wishes they scheduled down this year. If they schedule down, there is a good chance they beat Utah or Stanford and are top 10 right now. 

SCHEDULE DOWN. 

Utahute72
      Ute Fan
      @utahute72

Scheduling down may cost Washington a shot at the playoffs. One loss and they are likely out. That said I think they are ahead of where they expected to be at this point in time.

89ute
        Ute Fan
        @89ute

Stanford scheduled up last year and it cost them. Oklahoma with 1 loss last year was not better than 2 loss Stanford. The committee penalized Stanford for dropping their 1st game at Northwestern. I was incredibly disappointed in the selection committee last year for this reason. Until they prove otherwise, glossy win/loss record trumps strength of schedule.

Also, when Oklahoma faced the top teams in the big 12 (TCU, Baylor & OSU) they faced a 2nd string QB.

Anonymous
        Inactive

Exactly you have to have balance. The Michigan win helped Utah last season. BYU doesn’t really help Utah because they continue to beat crap teams. 

rbmw263
      Ute Fan
      @rbmw263

They are very good. They will probably blow their CFP with a head scratching late loss and then go beat Michigan in the Rose Bowl

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football How Good is Washington?