Viewing 3 reply threads

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute
      5 4

Extra Medium
      Ute Fan
      @runningreddude

There is a push but I don’t think Salt Lake has the corporate sponsorship money needed to support multiple professional teams. It takes a lot of corporate money to support the Jazz, RSL, Utes and Cougars.

I think people will show up to the games but I don’t think they can sell the naming rights, uniform logo spots, etc that they need to keep a team.

Personally I’d rather the NHL and MLB go elsewhere but I think I’m in the minority.

AlohaUte
      Ute Fan
      @alohaute

I think Utah has a great shot at landing an MLB team and I’d be thrilled if they did. From all accounts they are one of the front runners for an expansion MLB team. The Wasatch front definitely has the population to support at least one more professional team and while I don’t live there, if they did get an MLB team, I’d likely get a partial season ticket plan and make the trip down a few weekends a season.

concerned
      Ute Fan
      @concerned

I thought baseball was a longshot too, but I keep hearing that our chances are very good, more likely than not. Our principal competition is Portland (one team in the east, likely Nashville, maybe Montreal), and one in the west. Our proposal and ownership structure is superior to Portland, from what I have heard. MLB loves the Millers because of the Jazz; they want stable ownership more than anything. We have property and financing (almost) in place. Olympics helps a bit on the margins. Portland is more fractured, and MLB wants to stay away from Antifa riots and closed Walmarts. (that is what I have heard; may be exaggerated in our favor).

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

You’re right about Portland. I’ve followed that situation because I subscribe to John Canzano, who’s covered it quite in depth in his blog. If all things were equal, Portland would probably be the frontrunner to get a baseball team. However, all things are not equal. Portland doesn’t have ownership sorted out, they don’t have an earmarked location for a ballpark, and there’s significant pushback from large segments of the local populace, as well as elected officials, regarding the location and construction of a ballpark as well as possible use of any public funds to that end.

One thing that I don’t hear mentioned much regarding Utah’s acquisition of an MLB franchise, but that I think is important, is that the Utah MLB Committee has the active and vocal support of Charlie Monfort, who’s one of the primary owners of the Colorado Rockies. Charlie is an Utah grad but I think it really helps when you have your closest competitor advocating for your inclusion into the show.

concerned
          Ute Fan
          @concerned

I hadnt heard that about Monfort. That could be really helpful. My brother, who is a frat brother of C. Monfort and stays in touch with him, told me that Monfort and Alex Smith are the big engines behind our NIL efforts.

The Miami Ute
            Ute Fan
            @themiamiute

A few months ago when Big League Utah Big League Utah had what I think was their inaugural event, it was covered by the local sports stations and Charlie Monfort was there front and center wearing an Utah hat. So yeah, it’s good to have someone like that advocating for you.

UrbanLiar
              Ute Fan
              @urbanliar

Monfort’s classic line at the first Crimson Collective event was funny: he said as the Owner of the Rockies he’s supporting the Utes’ Collective because “he finally wants to help fund a winning team”.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Professional Sports How Much Credence is There to This?