I don’t think any major mid season change is the answer

Viewing 2 reply threads

rbmw263
      Ute Fan
      @rbmw263

In order to be a power run team you still need to be able to throw. That issue doesn’t go away. And I’m not sure I see this team being successful saying “were going to run, load the box.” We tried that with a better o line with Booker and our offense was nowhere near good enough to get us where we want to go. Sure, we might have a higher floor that way. Good way to get to 8 wins.

We aren’t winning the p12 without figuring out how to throw. 

Stone
      Ute Fan
      @stone

Agreed. The biggest complaint from the fanbase those years (and from Whit, too) was that we needed to be able to throw to open up the run game. Defenses just kept stacking the box and daring Utah to throw (and Utah could not). 

jrj84105
      Ute Fan
      @jrj84105

Let’s say our offense is currently 30% designed run, 30% designed pass, and 40% run/pass option (RPO).  That looks pretty balanced, and assuming that on RPO we run 50% of the time, that gives us a 50/50 run/pass ratio.

But if the defense sells out to stop the run, then the RPO suddenly becomes 100% pass and our run/pass balance shifts to 30/70.

if we want to be 50/50 balanced then we have to change the playcalling to be 50% run, 30% pass, and 20% RPO.  That instantly turns us into a power spread to run team without changing the playbook or personnel.

jrj84105
        Ute Fan
        @jrj84105

One caveat is that the 30% pass HAS to be downfield stuff.  Or even better, most of our passing should come of presnap audibles to go deep when the safeties are cheating up.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football I don’t think any major mid season change is the answer