I’d love for Utah to have a good basketball program again. I decided to attend..

Viewing 3 reply threads

UTE98
      Ute Fan
      @ute98

The U because of Majerus great basketball teams. I am an absolute huge college football fan, but love a good college basketball game. 

I watched Purdue against Illinois today, and pined for the days of Majerus, with Miller, Mottola, Doleac, Van Horn, Grant, Jensen, etc.

We’ve had some other good players come through post Majerus, Bogut, Poetl, Kuzma (wish he’d been as good in college as he is in the pros), and Wright. I loved the tenacity of Majerus 6 inch defense. Since I graduated in 98, I absolutely loved the hey day of Utah basketball. Sadly I couldn’t afford the final four, I really wish I’d had money to go to the Final Four, Sugar Bowl, and Fiesta Bowl. But I did get to the Rose Bowl. Seems I have a bit more money as my kids leave the house. I don’t pay for their college, only support them some during their first year. You get married, and you’re cut off. 

Looking forward to these next few years. Hoping Utah makes the Rose Bowl again and maybe a third time before it is absorbed in the expanded playoffs.

But watching that Purdue-Illiinois game made me long for great Utah basketball.

UtesRule
      Ute Fan
      @utesrule

Loved those days as well!

Technically Bogut was a Majerus recruit…he signed him.

I also fondly remember some guys pre-Big Rick. A few of my oldie favs include: Kelvin Upshaw (could really light it up with his beautiful stroke), Jerry Stroman, Manny Hendrix and Mitch Smith (couldn’t shoot a lick but was bar none one of the all time great rebounding machines to come through Utah).

Hoping Smith can turn things around. Hope we are patient enough to give him a real shot at it (at least 4 years).

dystopiamembrane
      Ute Fan
      @dystopiamembrane

I completed my undergrad at the U in 97. For me, the small college family feel of our teams in those days was deeply endearing. Every day of the season was lovely. It was a special time in University of Utah sports.

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

Chris Hill did many amazing things for Utah athletics, managing the Mens BB program was not one of them. The 1998 NCAA Championship loss was hard on RM and his health. I was attending Utah during Ricks five best years at Utah through the 1998 NCAA championship game. Giacolleti was a complete joke followed by Boylen who was a ding bat head coach. Both to this day have bounced around as assistant coaches and failed miserably in 1-2 brief stents of taking head coaching jobs since being fired/forced to resign by Utah. Krystkowiak checked out after the 2017 season and overall only had two decent seasons in his 10 years at Utah. Dude was carried heavy by his basketball popularity taking very little personal accountability and the media was afraid to criticize him. Coach K’s P12 record at Utah was 91-90. Hopefully Smith can turn it around.

bopahull
        Ute Fan
        @bopahull

Turning it around would result in a 90-91 record. I don’t think that would work out very well.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) I’d love for Utah to have a good basketball program again. I decided to attend..