Is the BYU-P game the biggest trap game in the history of college football?

Viewing 2 reply threads

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

– Conference already locked up

– Massively inferior opponent

– Almost zero implications from winning or losing

– Biggest game in 10 years on the other side

No college football game comes to mind that would be a bigger trap game. Which raises the following questions: 

– Do you hold anyone out? Do you risk a bad targeting call or injury to a key player, especially given BYU-P’s history of dirty play? 

– Do you even prepare for this game, or do an extra week of prep for UW/WSU? I have no doubt we can beat BYU-P without scheming.

RUUTES
      Ute Fan
      @ruutes

They will see us as their bowl game.  We are better in every way but if we look pst them they will do what FCS teams do now and then…play up for a shocker.  So don’t look ahead.  Take care of business this week.  Never take the foot off the gas.

javadave
      Ute Fan
      @javadave

I’ve been saying all along we should rest our starters in this scenario. 

User Suspended
        @a2ute

It’s a slippery slope resting players.. then losing.  Emotionally you want to go into the championship game on an upswing.

I hope they treat the zoob game like any other game – nothing bigger nothing less important.

The key is NO injuries – especially at QB or RB.

javadave
          Ute Fan
          @javadave

If it were just “any other game” to the opponent I’d agree. I don’t think it’s worth risking injuries or another BS targeting call. 

RiseasUtes
        Ute Fan
        @riseasutes

Rest our starters?  Dude, Shelley has 2 career starts.  There is no way you don’t take advantage of him having another game to get reps in.  Plus there is 0 chance our Srs don’t want the chance to beat them one last time.  These kids only get so many games and most wont go pro.  They want to play, especially against the team we hate the most.  No way we sit any starters that are healthy.  Hopefully they won’t need to play the whole game, but they will play.

GameForAnyFuss
          Ute Fan
          @gameforanyfuss

Yeah yeah, I get all that. But don’t forget we’re playing a bunch of cheap shot artists this week. While I’d love to get Shelley more experience and let our seniors win another BYU-P game, I’d also love to not be down to our 3rd string QB in the PAC12 CG.

I once said there’s little dropoff from Huntley to Shelley, and I think the results have borne that out so far. But I think the dropoff behind Shelley is much larger. 

Puget Ute
            Ute Fan
            @pugetute

No we are not playing g cheap shot artists. That mentality left with Bronco. Utah has many more targeting and unsportsmanlike penalties than byu over the last several years.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Is the BYU-P game the biggest trap game in the history of college football?