Lost hope for this season started when…

Viewing 3 reply threads
      1 4

Utegibby13
      Ute Fan
      @utegibby13

I know this is ridiculous. We are game 2 of the season. I stand by how i hate having this team second on our schedule. I knew it was a disaster because we dont know how we really look after one game. However, i honestly do not believe we are a more talented team than 2019. I know it was said by whit, but he looks done. Like he cant keep coaching anymore. I will not be surprised if he retires at years end.

So many were unreasonably high on brewer, calling him the best qb we have had here since bj. I saw a few remind other how much of an athlete huntley was and how underrated his throwing arm was.

I just didnt understand it. While i saw flashes of greatness, even at times during the loss, i did NOT see what supposedly set him apart from rising. Im sure ill get blown up for this, because the defensive scheme byu came with was relentless, but a veteran qb that is better than bj, would have found a way to win the game. He always has the opportunity to change the call at the line and we saw brewer do that. But i didnt see him check out of a run that was obvious. Like the boneheaded 4th and 2. Even i knew where we were going

All around that was a team loss. Its hard to blame the players when it is the coaches job to prepare. It is what whitt has harped on all week if you prepare right you win. But then, we looked unprepared.

I have no hope for the rest of the season. I see us dropping the sdsu game next week, and losing to wsu at home, and saying goodbye to sell out crowds at our new stadium. A win at sdsu by 40 plus points would be the only thing that will make me believe we can even try to run at the conference championship.

I would be greatful to see a win against Arizona and UCLA, but i dont see us winning many after that debacle. There was a reason we ran ludwig out of town the last time he was here. And im tired of seeing whittingham teams unprepared for big games (Byu, bowl games, etc).

I feel like this loss, though i have said in the past didnt mean anything for us, really squashed us to the dungeon of the pac-12. Little brother really nut punched us, and showed the conference the blueprint to kicking our teeth in. We got manhandled last night, though the score doesnt show it. I watched our players drop their heads as if the game ended after the int. Not characteristic of whittingham coached teams of the past. I.E. teams prior to 2017. When down, or when we made mistakes, we kept battling till the bitter end. Last i saw that was 2017.

I get everyone ages, but i kinda hope coach whittingham would have rode into the sunset with a legacy of teams that didnt fold when the chips were down. 4 years ago, that would have been the case.

Basically, everything sucks right now. I dont wanna hear whittingham say we are on track to win the pac. I honestly dont want to hear anything from him. I want his teams to show his attitude instead. Talk is cheap. It sucks to drop a game to bitter rival byu. Bitter is chosen for a reason. But to play such horrific football through 3 quarters made me so frustrated. I did not watch the 4th quarter. I couldnt handle more terrible play.

This isnt to deminish the effort Byu put into this game. They were obviously tired of getting smacked each year. They finally played a near perfect game and made us play that horrible football. They embarrassed us. I hate to say that little brother took us behind the woodshed, but they did. They showed us that, at least for now, the corner has turned. They are the captain now.

I 100000% blame the coaching staff. If you cannot get your guys ready for a non conference game, even knowing that it is a heated rival, how do you expect to win in conference? There is no excuse for being dominated by any team in this fashion. Do better.

Thanks for letting me rant. I welcome the fair weather fan comments. Im sure i will get them.

4 1

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

There is one thing I have to say about Whitt – I have seen homeless people look better than he does right now.

I understand your rant based off what we all experienced last night.  But, it was one terribly played game.  If the team continues to play this – then …

I do agree that what we saw last night was more coaching than playing.

Utegibby13
        Ute Fan
        @utegibby13

Thank you.

Yes, i understand it was one game, but i was not actually a fan of how we played a good weber state team either. I thought we had a TON of rust.

Danilo
        Ute Fan
        @dan7

Yep. We have better players and better talent. We got out coached and they just came with more energy and desire to win

RoboUte
      Ute Fan
      @hamplate

I wouldn’t trade Whitt for anything realistic, his impact on our program has been an absolute boon. I say give him a statue, he deserves it. But after our showing in the PAC 12 championship and the following bowl game against Texas (Both 2010 vs TCU levels of humiliating) we segued into what would’ve probably been a 4 or 5 win season in 2020 that frankly got completely saved by Covid, we’d have lost to BYU last year 9 out of 10 times. We were a Circus act.

Now transition to 2021, we have a talented group, we open against Weber state and one of our O lineman getting absolutely nuked from orbit on the very first play by some young man that’s probably from Layton and going there to get his associates. A portend of things to come as we utterly wilt against our in-state rival which we outmatch talentwise by a long shot. What’s more it’s clear that he was outcoached top to bottom in both contests.

I can’t say enough good about Whitt, but I think the magic has dried up. He has never had as much talent as we have now (last 2 years) and we have never looked worse since joining the PAC. We are regressing with better players, that’s a huge problem.

Utegibby13
        Ute Fan
        @utegibby13

Yes! Thank you! I agree with everything you said. I love whitt, but i think its time. I think he knows it too and is just in denial. We need a fresh coach that has won conferences such as this one. I do NOT want him fired, let me be clear. I think he needs to end his career retired.

Utesbyfive
          Ute Fan
          @utesbyfive

He’s earned the right to go out in his own terms, and I do not think he’s going to overstay his welcome.

charlesh
      Ute Fan
      @charlesh

“.They showed us that, at least for now, the corner has turned. They are the captain now. “

Hardly. The record is Utes 9 cougar 1 the last ten games. We won the turnover margin 2 to 0 thus we won. Who knows the next time.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Lost hope for this season started when…