My Friday morning QB thoughts, well a few.

Viewing 1 reply thread

UTE98
      Ute Fan
      @ute98

First of all kudos to SUU’s defensive front. They may be the best front four we face OOC. Either they were super pumped to play us and they stepped up, or they are going to make some noise in the Big Sky this year.

QB – I liked what I saw from both, I think they’ll both be more than serviceable this year. I really like the short out route to McCormick. And Williams did a good job of not looking to run too early in my opinion. Huntley did not have the air of a freshman, he looks ahead of his age.

RB – I liked that Joe W responded to KW’s tongue lashing, but McCormick in my mind was the better back, he hit the holes and quickly turned up field. While a bit lighter he didn’t shy away from delivering the hit to get the extra yard or two.

WR – As a group I loved that they didn’t complain about PI, they were more physical than I’ve ever seen them. I’m starting to drink the Kool-Aid.

OL – The low snaps didn’t seem to kill the offense against SUU, but we’ve got to get that fixed. I think they’ll get this figured out, but there were too many SUU defenders in the backfield and Joe Williams made a bad read on picking up the blitz early in the game.

DL – Did Lotuleilei play? I don’t remember seeing him out there. The DEs played well.

LB – Not a huge weakness and I expect them to improve.

DB – Marcus Williams, that’s all I have to say. It’s still early in the season and they’ll continue to improve just like every year. I know it drives us nuts that they don’t turn to look at the ball early in the season, but luckily we have two more games before USC.

Special teams – Punter – seemed pretty good, that first punt had me giving an audible “Oh, yeah!!!!” But then he didnt’ seem to get the backspin on the last few. Though he had the distance.

Overall a good tune up game. And as a bonus we held them to no points.

GO UTES!!!!!!

89ute
      Ute Fan
      @89ute

Special teams – Punter – seemed pretty good, that first punt had me giving an audible “Oh, yeah!!!!” But then he didnt’ seem to get the backspin on the last few. Though he had the distance.

Come on, he SET A SCHOOL RECORD is his debut.

Also notable for the Utes was punter Mitch Wishnowsky, who set a school record with a 55.5 punt average (six punts, 333 yards). His five punts of 50+ yards on the night is second-most in school history.

On the punt that SUU called time out just as it was snapped, Mitch’s punt went 63 yards on the fly and died on about the 8 yardline. He barely beat Marv Batemans record last night and I think he had two punts roll into the endzone. I’m calling it now, Mitch will win the Ray Guy award and it won’t even be close. A 45 yard punt is a great punt, any team in the nation would take that in a heartbeat. 55? Come on, that’s lights out.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

Wow. What a debut. Good for the Wish Kid.

UTE98
        Ute Fan
        @ute98

I’m sorry maybe that first punt clouded my view for the rest of the game. Plus I had a wife and four kids who were in and out of the room.

55.50 yards is awesome, however I’m confused about net punt yards, which is listed at 53.5 avg on http://www.utahutes.com. If he punted six times and even one went in the end zone that’s 20 yards, which divided by his 6 punts is 3.33 yards off the avg. How pray tell does he end up with 53.5 net? Unless they had some serious negative return yards.

First punt was a thing of beauty, 51 yards, downed.
        Second punt 57 yards, was returned 12 yards.
        Third punt 59 yards, touchback.
        Fourth punt 55 yards, no return.
        Fifth punt 66 yards, touchback.
        Sixth punt 45 yards, downed.

That gives me a net punt avg. of 46.83.
        Punt avg of 55.5, which is what you had.

HOLY CRAP!!!! I was wrong, my eyeball test failed me. Those are good numbers.

Tom Hackett averaged 46.7 yards in 2014, and 48.0 yards in 2015. Not sure what the net numbers were. But yes I “Wishnowsky” I’d paid more attention last night.

Sadly I think the numbers will go down over the season as we try to use punts to pin our opponents down inside the 10 yard line. But the first punt gives me hope it will happen.

SIDE NOTE:
        The below article is a stat geek’s heaven.

http://www.blocku.com/2015/8/13/9146991/putting-a-number-on-tom-hacketts-brilliance

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football My Friday morning QB thoughts, well a few.