NIL – Is there a way for us to compete?

Viewing 8 reply threads

Torg
      Ute Fan
      @torg

I only understand NIL on a basic level so please talk to me like a 5 year old on this.

What I am curious to know, how much money would we realistically need to have ready for competitive recruiting classes? Is it possible for us to become competitive in in the future? 

RedUte14
      Ute Fan
      @redute14

OnlyU and others give great responses to this in some other posts. I would look for those back a few pages.

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

To truly compete, we need a Phil Knight type booster who loves Utah football so much they are willing to pay millions of dollars to recruits who choose to play at Utah. Local businesses throwing a few thousand dollars at our current players is nice but that’s not going to cut it when it comes to luring 4 and 5 star recruits.  

3 1

Torg
        Ute Fan
        @torg

Gail Miller, if youre lurking on this forum…please return Mark Harlan’s phone call. 

Utesbyfive
          Ute Fan
          @utesbyfive

Mark Harlan, nor anyone with the program, can be involved with NIL deals. NIL is all athlete to agent to “business.”

UtahFootballGM
        Ute Fan
        @uofusportsguy

i’ll be handling that position soon. 

DrJazzy
      Ute Fan
      @docute

No – we just don’t have the wealthy alumni base that other more established programs have. We could outwork some programs like we do on the field – have a more coordinated and collaborative effort to get elite players the money/exposure they need – involve local businesses…but this takes a lot of work and so far we seem to be falling behind. 

Every major player has a large fan collective now. AZ was able to completely flip their recruiting with NIL money. 

OldAsDirtUte
      Ute Fan
      @oldasdirtute

If we could match the big donors NIL, then they would raise up the numbers again.

A never-ending spiral.

UteBacker
      Ute Fan
      @utebacker

No way.

On a positive note- we just got a hell of a lot more return on investment on our NIL payouts than those guys from So Cal just did…

3 1

UteManX
      Ute Fan
      @utemanx

We do have some wealthy alumni, we just need them to care more about football. We have Adobe, Atari, Pixar, that DJ Kaskade, a Piano Guy or something. If TDS can do it with a guy who has a survey website/jazz owner. I do not see why we can’t. I was slightly connected to Basketball until a couple years ago and there was some more talk of some alumni donations/NIL deals, but I am not sure if that resulted in anything or if it will. Fingers Crossed.

jamarcus24
      Ute Fan
      @jamarcus24

Well, to give you an idea here is a link to an article that suggests the #3 overall recruit in the 2023 class (according to 247) has an NIL deal potentially worth up to $8 million over the course of his collegiate career.  He may actually be making money from this deal already.  He is committed to Tennessee.

Nico Iamaleava NIL Deal

utefansince79
        Ute Fan
        @utefansince79

way things are headed, players with great pro potential may decide to stay in college playng all four years because it will pay more than moving to the NFL 

Extra Medium
      Ute Fan
      @runningreddude

We need an NIL coordinator on staff who can actively engage stewing athletes and companies. We need alumni who don’t want their name on a building but would rather throw a few $m at some athletes. It will be Wild West for a few years but it will eventually blow up and the NIL deals will come back to earth.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football NIL – Is there a way for us to compete?