Now there is documented proof…

Viewing 3 reply threads
      13 1

THEeyepatch
      Ute Fan
      @theeyepatch1

That continuing the “rivalry” game does nothing to help Utah. It’s a lose-lose situation for the Utes. There’s also verifiable evidence to support nobody outside the state of Utah cares about the so-called “Holy War”. Sure, the AP can add it to their lists of ‘Biggest Rivalry Games To Watch’ but it means nothing. When UCLA is able to leapfrog Utah in the AP Poll by beating a terrible Hawaii team that USA Today has ranked #90 (tds #50) only tells me that Utah beating their most-hated rival on the road isn’t a respected game that matters. Therefore, the rivalry game needs to end. There’s nothing on the line anymore, and with Utah in the Pac-12, needs to fill their ‘A’ game slot with a P5 team and not a quasi-P5-equivalent wannabe.

Larry B
      Ute Fan
      @larryb

I think the reason we dropped is because we didn’t look very good in a win against a pretty bad team. UCLA took their opponent to the wood shed.

But I do agree that we should drop the series, or at least make it every other year.

THEeyepatch
        Ute Fan
        @theeyepatch1

“Pretty bad team.”

That’s hard to compare right now. Both teams will get a chance to prove who’s worse the last week of November Larry. 
        But that also fits my argument that nobody outside the state of Utah cares about the “Holy War”. If you can find anything from SI, ESPN, Bleacher Report, etc. that has Hawaii rated/ranked higher than the tds I would love to see it. 
        As for playing the tds every other year… You’re too kind. I would drop it completely or every 5-8 years with only a 2-for-1 agreement. 

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

Polls before week 6 are pretty useless. I wouldn’t react too much to it. The fact UCLA leapfrogged Utah is likely more due to Utah struggling to beat a team LSU just embarrassed. If Wisconsin struggles against tds than that W will start to look better. This is the one positive playing an independent.

THEeyepatch
        Ute Fan
        @theeyepatch1

You’re right about the polls and the ONLY one that matters is the CFP Poll. I guess what I’m getting at is the perception that Utah gets nationally. It’s terrible and Utah and the rivalry game gets no respect from an AP perspective. If this game (same score) would have been against a Nebraska or Arkansas or whoever P5 team you can think of, people would notice who write articles for known Sports magazines.

noneyadb
          Ute Fan
          @noneyadb

Anything from the state of Utah is not likely going to get much national recognition. Look at the Jazz, even during the peak of the Stockton and Malone era they had little national recognition.

Utahute72
      Ute Fan
      @utahute72

If we’re 4-0 by the end of the month we’ll be fine.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Now there is documented proof…