One thing I couldn't figure out for the life of me last night

Viewing 2 reply threads

rbmw263
      Ute Fan
      @rbmw263

The soft spots in Oregons zone appeared to be baseline and in the corners. We had all 5 guys up way too high and ran everything into the post and ft line area which seemed to play right into their scheme. Allowed them to collapse their zone. If we put guys on the baseline maybe that soft spot disappears but it stretches out the defense and opens up that block/ft line area and just opens up the floor in general

It was an adjustment I really hoped to see at half but we stuck to what we did half one. Result was an incredibly crowded lane and a lot of deflections

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

I was having a hard time grasping what we were trying to do, if anything, on offense last night. Seems like we were almost slowing it down on purpose to keep oregon from running or something.  

Ute Bc
        Ute Fan
        @utebc

Coach said last night that Oregon used that 3 quarter press to keep us from being able to run. It was effective we had very little transition points. 

We were not confident from the corners for some reason. It was open all night as was said. Van Dyke makes that one late and we have a 1 point game. That said, did anyone else feel like Oregon was so superior athletically that they were able to turn it on at will?

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

That strategy was very effective for them.  We never got into our offense and when we did, we didn’t move much.  It ends up a desperation heave a lot of the time.

UtahUtesRock
          Ute Fan
          @utahutesrock

Love our players but I was there last night (as you may have been also) and to me, our team looked like they were over thinking everything. I get that they were pressing, but it was a soft press. We took WAAAAAAY too much time to get it over the line and then the team looked super tentative offensively. It was like watching Boylen’s team where they passed it around for 20 seconds and somebody had to hurry up and make a shot. 

I’m not sure if slowing down the pace was part of the game but it’s completely ineffective when you take the full 24 seconds to get your shot off only to have the other team streak down the court for a layup. 

I like what I see in Daniels. That kid has no fear. I thought Kuz was trying to do to much distributing, Zo looked nervous. Just not a good night for the team. I was surprised given how they’d gotten up for UCLA. But it is what it is. I don’t see any games left on the schedule as a “for-sure loss” other than possibly the return to Oregon. Hope it’s enough to get into the tourney but I think last night was a case of nerves and over thinking things.

They’ll get back at it on Saturday and run off some more wins. 

Minnesota Ute
            Ute Fan
            @minnesotaute

No need to worry, we will be dancing.  By seasons end, I predict we will have 7 losses, but even if we assume we drop one more, we will still have 6 of 7 or 8 losses that are against top 25 teams, and all but Oregon will be way in the first half of the season.  We should be rolling because other than @ Oregon, @ Cal is the only other game that remotely scares me.  And we will beat them handily if we are healthy.  

I think it’s time to stop worrying about getting in and start worrying about how we do.  I love how this team is built, it is the first true pac12 quality team among the top say 6 maybe 7 players, but we have to build that depth a few spots deeper, and we need a Dillon Brooks.  We might have that guy in Devon, and we hopefully we can bring in a few more players of the Cedric, Zo, Collette quality.  If Krystko can get that done, next year could be special.  Zo and Gabe are the only losses right?  So this is the core for next year, only one critical place to fill so anything else is gravy.  I don’t mean to slight Bealer, I love him because he is a Ute, but he just hasn’t been productive.

Anonymous
      Ute Fan
      @anonymous

Candidly, my assessment is that even without the 3/4 press, our players would have a hard time running on Oregon. Its guards are big/athletic/crafty and its bigs are athletic and provided a lot of help-defense.

Oregon is just a better team. If we keep on improving, we’ll get our shot. And, we’ll need better athletes/players.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) One thing I couldn't figure out for the life of me last night