Our offense doesn’t need more passing yards.

Viewing 3 reply threads

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Yeah, I know that sounds crazy. I thought it was crazy before today. BUT, today I was looking at some stats and I saw that Stanford only had 34 more passing yards than we did. THIRTY FOUR.

NUTS. They had about 500 yards more than we did rushing.

So, we don’t need MORE passing yards. We need MORE rushing yards.

Here is where Stanford differed from us: They were second in the PAC-12 in pass efficiency. We were 8th. So, when you hear Whitt talk about the pass game, there is a reason why he constantly talks about being more efficient. We had the yards to win the PAC-12. But, we were wildly inefficient in our passing game.

I thought we would see Utah really try to open up the passing game this fall. I thought with Williams and our TE’s, that we would really try to up our passing yards and really try to get over 250 yards passing a game.

After looking at Stanford, I’m not so sure we will do that. I think if we stayed at 200 yards per game, but were much more efficient, we will be close to unstoppable.

That’s how good our defense is.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Utah needs more respect of their passing game which will lead to more rushing yards. Troy Williams or Cox should give us that.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

I think the rushing threat will open up the passing game.

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

Rushing and Passing balance each other out. If they’re both strong, then you have a great offense, not only in part because of the strength of each method but also because it makes the defense more careful.

If one or the other is not near as strong, it allows the defense to sandbag.

If we can get a passing game on par with our running game, even if neither is top-of-the-PAC or world class, it will help the entire offense immensely.

jamarcus24
      Ute Fan
      @jamarcus24

Are you talking about last season?  Because Stanford had way more passing and rushing yards than that.  Looking at ESPN they had 625 more passing yards than we did and 753 more rushing yards.  They had nearly 1400 more yards total offense than we did and they also averaged 7 more points a game as well (37.8 to our 30.8).

Stanford has won the Pac-12 three times in five years playing a similar style of ball that we play.  We just need more yards and more points period.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by jamarcus24.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

Hey, jamarcus, it’s me 2004 from utefans. lol.

I was looking at conference only stats.

Stanford: 1802 passing yards

Utah: 1768 passing yards

Stanford killed us in rushing yards: 2296 yards to 1710.
        Scoring: Stanford scored 40 pts a game, we scored 30.
        Here is the BIGGEST difference between us and them: Pass efficiency: Stanford was #2. We were #9.

Offensively, we need to do what Urban wants from his offense:
        200 yards passing and 200 yards rushing.
        We need to be a lot more efficient throwing the ball. We need to be top 5 if not top 3.

If we could get the 200 and 200 and top 3 passing efficiency, we’d be unstoppable with that defense.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by Utah.

jamarcus24
          Ute Fan
          @jamarcus24

Oh yeah, I forget you’ve been focusing on in-conference.  Either way I think we’re both saying the same thing: more yards, more points.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Our offense doesn’t need more passing yards.