Question about paying for non scholarship kids getting their tuition paid

Viewing 6 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Built Bar is now paying the tuition for non-schollie BYU football players (38 I believe).  Does it matter who pays for the tuition (school or corporation)?  In the 1970s they put a hard cap on scholarships so the big-boys would not leave others behind.  I am sure BYU is following NCAA guidelines on this, but something doesn’t seem right about it.  I am not trashing BYU for doing this, I would feel the same if Utah was doing it and maybe we are.  My question is – how is this within the rules?

Duhwayne
      Ute Fan
      @duhwayne

36 players times 6000 in tithing subsidized tuition equals $200k. The players will wear t-shirts. That’s the workaround, because NCAA. Majerus still can’t buy his grieving player breakfast.

It’s a decent idea for some decent good guy publicity.

How many do you think will declare this on their 1040s?

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

I found this national article about what BYU has done.  Every school will now be looking for a corporation to pay their walkons’ tuition.  

BYU finds loophole

I think this whole thing is going to get out of control.

Duhwayne
          Ute Fan
          @duhwayne

We all forgot what the NCAA was for (parity in college sports), and we gutted it, and now it’s pretty much dead. The next 15 years are going to be bad for college football. A lot of programs are going to dry up. Disney is trying to capture college football. My guess is the NFL is going to start playing Saturdays too. They now have a rival pro league. They may want to consider farm teams.

11 1

Ute Dub
      Ute Fan
      @chestercopperpot

If you get on a built bar auto ship and then get 3 friends who get their 3 friends to get built bar auto ship’s then you’re really going to help the boys and everyone will be a like a kazillionairee…it’s the Utah county way!

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

The school isn’t paying for it so it’s technically not a scholarship. They’re also paying the scholarship players the cost of their tuition. Right now, it’s not against the rules. The floodgates have been opened and we’re seeing the effects, whether right or wrong. I think some day there is going to have to be some rules placed on NIL. I don’t know who oversees it since the NCAA was pretty much neutered by the Supreme Court. I’m not sure that this is going to be a big game changer for byu. The money will be nice yes, but their still byu. It might get them some 3 star kids instead of a couple two or no stars they would have had anyway, but it won’t raise their level to able to compete with the Utes.

I liked Built Bar too. It’s a shame they made a deal with the devil. I’ll just have to go back to Quest Bars I guess. Oh well.

Duhwayne
      Ute Fan
      @duhwayne

Why not have Built also pay 20 grayshirts to enroll in case you might find room for them? Why not also pay for missions? Or girlfriends or siblings? NIL is going to be a s**tshow.

CincyUte
      Ute Fan
      @cincyute

Maybe it’s just me, but it seems like BYU should be trying to figure out a plan to sign better recruits, and not more recruits.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

That’s as good as it gets for them at this point.

Duhwayne
      Ute Fan
      @duhwayne

Reggie Bush’s mom wants her car and house back. I wonder how many of the kids who need the money the most will have uncles or youth coaches showing up as agents taking a draw. NCAA actually saved exploitation scenarios but we forgot about all that.

PrudentUte
        Ute Fan
        @davidclarkepruden

Well, if you say it real fast and imagine 30,000 little scewgers chanting it – it doesn’t even seem like a name change…

Built Bar U, Built Bar U, Built Bar U! Go Screwgers!

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Question about paying for non scholarship kids getting their tuition paid